Interlacing on the Muppet Babies DVD's

erniebert1234ss

Reaction score
Maybe I'm stupid, but I didn't see ANY interlacing being used with the Muppet Babies DVDs that came with the plush toys until today. I ripped The Daily Muppet to my computer, and I saw a TON of examples of excessive interlacing! That, to me, smacks of not caring AT ALL about the Muppet Babies. Of course, it's just another reason why I'm not buying ANYTHING else released by the Betesh Group again, EVER.

And if anyone else out there has image files of the other episodes on these DVDs (esp. Gonzo's Video Show), PLEASE send me a PM, since it will be necessary to get them and try these others out to see if there were interlacing issues with those other episodes (and it's kinda illegal). BTW, Steve Swanson and I am going to be chatting on Tuesday about the Muppet Babies and I'd like them, if possible, before then. Thanks!

BJ

erniebert1234ss

Reaction score
From Wikipedia...

Interlace is a technique of improving the picture quality of a video signal without consuming any extra bandwidth. It was invented by RCA engineer Randall C. Ballard in the 1930s.
and why interlacing is bad:

Because modern computer video displays are progressive scan systems, interlaced video will have visible artifacts when it is displayed on computer systems. Computer systems are frequently used to edit video and this disparity between computer video display systems and television signal formats means that the video content being edited cannot be viewed properly unless separate video display hardware is utilized.

To minimize the artifacts caused by interlaced video display on a progressive scan monitor, a process called deinterlacing can be utilized. This process is not perfect, and it generally results in a lower resolution, particularly in areas with objects in motion. Deinterlacing systems are integrated into progressive scan television displays in order to provide the best possible picture quality for interlaced video signals.
And it's normally called DVNR, but you're not seeing me saying that.

BJ

Drtooth

Reaction score
Maybe I'm stupid, but I didn't see ANY interlacing being used with the Muppet Babies DVDs that came with the plush toys until today. I ripped The Daily Muppet to my computer, and I saw a TON of examples of excessive interlacing! That, to me, smacks of not caring AT ALL about the Muppet Babies. Of course, it's just another reason why I'm not buying ANYTHING else released by the Betesh Group again, EVER.

And if anyone else out there has image files of the other episodes on these DVDs (esp. Gonzo's Video Show), PLEASE send me a PM, since it will be necessary to get them and try these others out to see if there were interlacing issues with those other episodes (and it's kinda illegal). BTW, Steve Swanson and I am going to be chatting on Tuesday about the Muppet Babies and I'd like them, if possible, before then. Thanks!
......uhhhhhh..... these were free disks that came with a toy that hasn't been available for years. I don't think it was an issue of caring or not. I mean, a lot of other DVD's that come free with stuff aren't great (exception of the TMNT DVD's that came with various action figures).