Old School Volume 2 coming November 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

wiley207

Reaction score
I wonder why the Old School chapter stops refer to the Sesame Street News segments a s"Kermit News". Could that be the official title, despite the "Newsflash" title card and Kermit referring to it as "Sesame Street News"?
I dunno. I know the BMI registry calls the Sesame Street News theme music the "Kermit News Theme," but many people refer to it as Sesame Street News or Sesame Street News Flash.

BTW, cool sketch list, even though is only one bonus Super Grover skits. And I was also expecting the bonus News Flash skit to be the "Jack and Jill" segment, but the "Jack Be Nimble" skit is one I've never seen before. And since "Upstairs, Downstairs" isn't on it (sorry, jonnytbird!), this might prove the sketch was actually from the early 1980s, but that is for my debate thread. :big_grin:

zns

Reaction score
Well we have a better idea about the bonus skits, but what about the unaired episode? Let's see a review, please.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I was looking at some Muppet Wiki pages on Ernie and Bert sketches, looking for sketches where the earlist-known appearance is from the late 1970s, and saw the pie sketch listed and started wondering if that could be it. I wonder if that sketch (or any other Ernie and Bert sketch) have the characters saying "the slice of life". I don't think it's the one where Ernie and Bert share pizza and grape juice, because I think that's from the second or third season.

There are a lot of sketches listed that I'm unfamiliar with. Maybe I'll remember some when I actually see them. I wonder if the "out of food" sketch could be the one where Grover tells Fat Blue that the resturaunt is out of everything except milk. I didn't notice any sketches mentioned which I know feature The Count or Big Bird, and I only noticed one Cookie Monster sketch in the listing. I wonder which characters appear in the "seasons" pageant.

I didn't notice until somebody commented that there will be two Don Music skits. That's great. I thought that Mary Had a Little Lamb was the only one listed, and since that one has already been released commercially, I hoped that a different Don Music sketch would be included.

I looked hard at the Barns and Nobel site, since chapter listings were listed, and I didn't notice any segments listed in the episodes that weren't on the Noggin broadcasts. So we might have to wait a week before we know what Noggin cut. he first set included both sketches added to episodes in the chapter stops.

Doing some counting, this set will have at least five bonus Grover sketches, six bonus Kermit sketches, five Ernie sketches, and four Bert sketches.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Not quite; the "Fisherman Song" is a copyrighted song in show #796. Plus, the Noggin version had edited something out, possibly a bad joke.
Do you mean "bad" as in not good, or "bad" as in innappropriate? If it's the "not good" kind of bad joke, then there shouldn't be a problem.

BillyKal

Reaction score
I am so stoked about this release - even more than the last one, as I grew up with this era of Classic SS - the mid '70s.

Anyways, anyone notice if there are any Jazzy Spies on this one?

I know we see the Pinball Number Song...

Looks great -- and I'll finally have a mint copy of the "Bert & Ernie at The Movies (Emotions)" sketch!

MuppetDude

Reaction score
I meant "bad" as inappropriate.

I think you're right about the "All Out of Food" sketch being a Waiter Grover sketch; the Dutch dub on YouTube and that sketch share the same running time, albeit a one second difference. I still have no idea of what the "Taxi Sounds" clip is; maybe it's a film or cartoon.

ISNorden

Reaction score
I didn't notice any sketches mentioned which I know feature The Count or Big Bird, and I only noticed one Cookie Monster sketch in the listing. I wonder which characters appear in the "seasons" pageant.
I think I remember three of the main characters in the "seasons" pageant...

• Herry represents spring; I remember him reciting a rhyme about singing birds, and Grover "tweeting" offstage as he dangles some wooden birds overhead ("Oh, a thousand tweeets!")
  • Ernie represents summer; he dresses in a swimsuit and recites a badly rhymed verse about summer activities. (Even Prairie Dawn grimaces when she hears "...there's fishing and swimming;/the beaches are open/for men and for woming [sic].")
  • Cookie Monster represents autumn in that pageant. He plays an apple tree, with real apples hanging from his costume, and also eats some fallen leaves used as a special effect.
I forget which character did winter, although he came first in the pageant; hopefully, the DVD will set me straight.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Anyways, anyone notice if there are any Jazzy Spies on this one?
I don't think any Jazz Numbers cartoons are included, unless Noggin cut any out of those episodes (but even so, it would probably be Jazz #2, which was included in afew episodes on the first set).

It seems to me that the titles listed for the bonus skits are more clear regarding recurring sketches then they were on the first set. On the first set, the menus listed the Sesame Street News sketch as "Kermit News: Rupunzel", but wasn't as clear with other recurring sketch titles. The Super Grover sketch on that DVD was just listed as "Telephone Booth", with no clear indication that Super Grover appeared in that sketch. The Twiddlebusg sketch included as just listed as "Going to Zoo", as opposed to "Twiddlebugs go to the zoo". But this listing clearly lists the included Super Grover and Twiddlebug sketches as "Super Grover: stopping afight" and "Twiddlebugs: Postage Stamp".

And the press releases and packaging for the first set incorrectly promoted Pinball Number Count, which wasn't from any of the first five seasons and wasn't included on that set, but now it seems like Sesame Workshop is trying to make up for it, with the #4 sketch being included as a bonus feature in addition to the #2 sketch being in two episodes, including the remix from the What's The Name of That Song? DVD, and including a colectible cell from that segment. I wouldn't be surprised if the hidden feature on disc 3 will be a behind-the-scenes feature on these segments, or even storyboards.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I meant "bad" as inappropriate.

I think you're right about the "All Out of Food" sketch being a Waiter Grover sketch; the Dutch dub on YouTube and that sketch share the same running time, albeit a one second difference. I still have no idea of what the "Taxi Sounds" clip is; maybe it's a film or cartoon.
Is the You Tube clip a second longer, or is the running time listed here a second longer? If the You Tube clip is shorter, it's probably because the person who uploaded it either stopped the video early or started it late.

And I think the press releases have said that Fat Blue appears on this set, though no Grover the waiter segments are in any of the episodes.

gbrobeck

Reaction score
I got my copy at Wal-Mart today. Really nice that they're breaking the law by putting the set out a week early lol. I'll post contents here soon... and If Phillip will allow me (I sent an email but never got a reply) I'll post a review as well

Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.