Your Thoughts: Dark Crystal and Labyrinth Anniversary DVD's

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I bought The Dark Crystal DVD and I have to say, I liked what I got. However, I share cabbageheat's dismay about the isolated music track not being included. That would have been nice.
I liked the delated scenes. Intresting, as I once had a book-and-record set of The Dark Crystal and it contained music not included in the complete film. It turns out the music appears in the funreal scenes that appear as outtakes.
Two other points; I saw this on home video when I was 12 and there were some minor differences. First, the video had gold borders with a black patten at the beginning. Those are not on the DVD I have. Also, the end credits appeared on a black and purple background on the tape, on the one I have, they appear in gold on a still background! Anyone know what was up with that?

:scary: To answer your question about the borders…they never actually appeared in the theatrical film. On the VHS copy of the opening credits instead of cropping the sides of the picture or placing the widescreen black bars (that used to confuse people) they painted in the beautiful golden weaved boarders. Once the credits were over they sliced into the film resulting in a pan and scan ratio. This current DVD transfer isn't the best, but it is the truest version of the film so far in color and widescreen ratio. The Disney/Buena Visa release and packaging (the green box version) oversaturated the colors marring much of the watercolor charm of the visuals.

The Dark Crystal is one of my favorite films of all-time. The latest DVD release (there have been multiple packagings in recent years) seems like a half-hearted effort. However, it tops many fan lists for future Blu-ray release and those usually contain a restored print and many fantastic extras; so by the time this format becomes a fixture in most homes a high quality release will be available. That's the one I'm most looking forward to. This one isn’t bad and I do have it, but I was disappointed as a collector and particular enthusiast of this picture. Still, the film’s on it and that’s the most important part! :wink:

MJTaylor

Reaction score
:scary: To answer your question about the borders…they never actually appeared in the theatrical film. On the VHS copy of the opening credits instead of cropping the sides of the picture or placing the widescreen black bars (that used to confuse people) they painted in the beautiful golden weaved boarders. Once the credits were over they sliced into the film resulting in a pan and scan ratio. This current DVD transfer isn't the best, but it is the truest version of the film so far in color and widescreen ratio. The Disney/Buena Visa release and packaging (the green box version) oversaturated the colors marring much of the watercolor charm of the visuals.

The Dark Crystal is one of my favorite films of all-time. The latest DVD release (there have been multiple packagings in recent years) seems like a half-hearted effort. However, it tops many fan lists for future Blu-ray release and those usually contain a restored print and many fantastic extras; so by the time this format becomes a fixture in most homes a high quality release will be available. That's the one I'm most looking forward to. This one isn’t bad and I do have it, but I was disappointed as a collector and particular enthusiast of this picture. Still, the film’s on it and that’s the most important part! :wink:
Thanks for that. I never saw it in the theatre so like most people the home video was my introduction to The Dark Cystal. Mind you, I have also seen it on TV and the gold borders were on that presentation as well. The closing credits were also the same, although I think they went a bit faster on TV, if my memory serves me correctly.

JustListen

Reaction score
I'm in agreement with the general consensus of this anniversary edition being quite lower then sub-par. This release is keeping in line with Henson offerings being quite mediocre of late, which includes how news of the new DC sequel is being specifically side stepped.

If they're going to re-release TDC again it should include the following

1. Every bit of behind the scenes footage possible
2. Creature Shop production of the many races of TDC
3. The World of the Dark Crystal behind the scenes film
4. Interviews with the puppet makers, the puppeteers
5. Interview & commentary by Frank Oz [how could you re-release this film and not include Frank Oz as a featured interviewee?]
6. Wendy Froud commentary
7. Brian Froud Commentary
8. Brian Henson Commentary
9. A 'Play All' function
10. Featurettes that showcase each stage of development
11. Interviews with the writers of the film
12. Interviews with the voice-over artists
13. The Marketing of The Dark Crystal
14. Interview longterm fans of The Dark Crystal and todays directors influenced by the original film [including our own Genndy Tartovsky]
15. Talk about The Power of the Dark Crystal
16. Behind the scenes of The Power of the Dark Crystal, what's happening in production, a quick look into what we'll be seeing come 2009.

With the dawning of Blade Runner the Final Cut and it's 3 hour documentary and 4 different versions of the film, the bar has been set, and so far, Henson continues to fall far from the bar into their comfortable zone of mediocrity.

I expected more from an anniversary release. WAY more.

J.M. Prater
I agree with you so much. I just bought it and I was disappointed with how much was actually incorporated into the package. I would've loved to see more concept art instead of just a handful of Skeksis and UrRu drawings. But the three documentaries that were on the DVD were astounding and the Commentary with Brian Froud was fascinating. Not to mention, the film's resolution was impressive. So it wasn't all too bad, I supposed. I still spent the whole weekend watching the movie (a grand total of 5 times on just saturday!). But I would love to see a Blu-ray special edition with many more features. That would please me.

JustListen

Reaction score
It would be great to have in depth interviews and stuff but sometimes certain people who worked on these movies are reluctant to have anything to do with them now. I know from interviews that Jennifer Connelly doesn't see Labyrinth as a particular highlight of her career and is somewhat embarrassed by it now. Also, Trevor Jones doesn't like to do any kind of interviews or anything concerning his musical scores. I'm sure there are many outtakes from both movies soundtracks that will probably never be heard. It's a real pity.
That is a shame. It saddens me that someone could be embarrassed by something that others consider the jewels of their childhood. :sympathy: But that's the con of the trade, I guess.

muppet baby

Reaction score
That is a shame. It saddens me that someone could be embarrassed by something that others consider the jewels of their childhood. :sympathy: But that's the con of the trade, I guess.
I know i totally agree with you there i mean i love all the Jim Henson stuff it is a Jim ok i will adimit something about both the Dark Crystal and Laybarith , they did scare me as a kid but i watched them when ever they where on Tv for me it was a good kind of scared and not a bad one :wink:.
It is still a Jewel of my childhood like many others of you have it as well :smile:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I agree with you so much. I just bought it and I was disappointed with how much was actually incorporated into the package. I would've loved to see more concept art instead of just a handful of Skeksis and UrRu drawings. But the three documentaries that were on the DVD were astounding and the Commentary with Brian Froud was fascinating. Not to mention, the film's resolution was impressive. So it wasn't all too bad, I supposed. I still spent the whole weekend watching the movie (a grand total of 5 times on just saturday!). But I would love to see a Blu-ray special edition with many more features. That would please me.
Jennifer Connelly should be embarrassed by Dark Water, not Labyrinth. She had the opportunity to work with one of the greatest minds in entertainment. It was a distinct privilege that she should be proud of. David Bowie permits his likeness for current action figures while she hides from the film. It makes me almost as sad as she looked win she won her Oscar for Beautiful Mind. Honestly, if she can't be happy for such praise then her outlook is clearly skewed. I cannot imagine Labyrinth without her. I think she should provide some material when the film is finally released on Blu-ray. I expect Labyrinth to hit that format soon since Sony owns both Columbia Tri-Star and Blu-ray. :wink:

animal0606

Reaction score
Some people forget there roots, Labyrinth help her get to where she is at today. Nothing to be embarrassed about.

Redsonga

Reaction score
Some people forget there roots, Labyrinth help her get to where she is at today. Nothing to be embarrassed about.
I think some people forget how lucky they have had it, at such a young age to:eek:

Andibcool

Reaction score
Just a fyi there are 4 kinds of DVDs for booth movies out here in germany.
For the labyrinth i found 4 versions so far.
1. old one from 2002 from sony pictures widescreen
2. special edition 2004 from columbia tristar in 16:9
3. anniversery edition 2007 from sony pictures 16:9 2 DVDs
4. Labyrinth and dark crystal collectors pack 2008 ( booth films in one box ) from sony pictires.
Seems to be the special edition ( written on disk )

Its almost the same for the dark crytal.

I bought me booth movies in 1 box witch seem to be the special editions for a bargain price.