Disney Channel Preps for Muppet "Mini Movies"

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
You dont like that "novelty" word ! The muppets are novel, that is a different look at something.I dont know why it is making you cringe, but lets agree to disagree.
I guess you start knowing something is wrong when the Muppet Show gets a midnight timeslot.
Plus the original TV station drops it and another picks it up (in Australia).
No worries. :smile: I see the characters as timeless rather than novel or a trend, but I get that's not what you meant. The characters have certainly recognized trends and poked fun at them! That's part of their bread and butter. I just see the Muppets as "evergreen" however they aren't being marketed that way.

Much of their late 90s/pre-VMX and Oz work seemed to date them. I see Muppets From Space as an example of trying too hard with them. The Muppets just need to be able to be themselves.

The Muppet Show, or any reruns from three decades ago, being shown at midnight hours doesn't surprise me. Reruns don't even play in the states at all. The Muppets aren't the only syndication casualty here. It appears that much classic, quality entertainment is abandoned for cheap and Raymond-type shows that are an effortless fit for uncreative programmers. And lets not forget that some of these are packaged sweetheart deals!

On another note, I'm spending a few days in Virginia with family, (niece and nephews) and noticed Disney has put out Muppet paper plates for kids. This introduces them to the characters and is a great marketing decision. Fozzie, Gonzo (with his purple nose), Animal and Kermit are all featured in bright bold colors and handsome current-looking cartoon graphics. I need to post these somewhere. :embarrassed:

Disney will never want the Muppets to be as big as the Mouse or probably even Pooh, but they are trying to bring them back. Lets just hope there are more quality items and eventually a quality project!

muppetperson

Reaction score
Yes, I am thinking "novel' in terms of unique, not fad.Indeed the Muppets are evergreen to still have loyal fans, but i know some adults and kids have a short interest span and then what to see something else.Me, I am a life long fan and will never tire of them.Lets hope Disney's slow approach(absence makes the heart grow fonder) works and we see regular muppet projects.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Yes, I am thinking "novel' in terms of unique, not fad.Indeed the Muppets are evergreen to still have loyal fans, but i know some adults and kids have a short interest span and then what to see something else.Me, I am a life long fan and will never tire of them.Lets hope Disney's slow approach(absence makes the heart grow fonder) works and we see regular muppet projects.
It always appears to be a follow-through issue with Disney. They set things up just to let them fizzle out. They have a sort of Muppet ADD. They've got to pick a plan and follow it through.:mad:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Forgive my sarcastic tone, it's just bizarre JHC or Disney with Henson Alternative, Muppets, etc dont seem to know about the viral appeal of youtube and myspace video. This stuff would easily be front page of either sites if they put em on there as well
And yet, Sesame Workshop did. They have their own video site now. Go figure. Too bad the others didn't figure that out yet.

On another note, I'm spending a few days in Virginia with family, (niece and nephews) and noticed Disney has put out Muppet paper plates for kids. This introduces them to the characters and is a great marketing decision. Fozzie, Gonzo (with his purple nose), Animal and Kermit are all featured in bright bold colors and handsome current-looking cartoon graphics. I need to post these somewhere.
Hmmmmmmm.... Never seen those. They are new, right. Not that I doubt you, just want to make sure. Last time I've seen a Non-Sesame Street Muppet on a kid's plate was when Bear in the Big Blue House was around.

Scarey thought. the only one holding Muppets truely in the public eye is Elmo.