Disney Channel Preps for Muppet "Mini Movies"

muppetperson

Reaction score
I get what you're saying about children being newly introduced to the Muppets - it's that way with all entertainment icons. That's why so much of film and television is targeted at a younger palette. :smirk:

However, Sesame Street is a differently geared and formatted show. The Muppet Show was an evening variety program heavily concentrated on guests and production numbers. Not to mention Jim ended the program at its peak! I see it as inaccurate, but common, to compare the programs in that way simply because they contain Jim Henson created puppet characters. Different genres. :embarrassed:

I believe one of the reasons (aside from wanting to do other things) that Jim yanked the Muppet Show out of production was that it was hard to keep a show like that fresh and current. Specials continued to trickle out. This helped keep the material from getting watered down. :zany:
Certainly, but there are a lot of simularities between Sesame Street and The Muppet Show.Indeed they both have puppets in them, but they also have skits, songs and dances, human interaction.The differences are how they are set(one on the street and the other in a theatre) and one is educational and therefore repedative, but they are both to entertain.The muppet Show could of gone on as there are endless guest stars, but again I think the reason it ended was because the novelty wore off, like most shows, where the average run seems to be around 5 years, like ALF.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
The muppet Show could of gone on as there are endless guest stars, but again I think the reason it ended was because the novelty wore off, like most shows, where the average run seems to be around 5 years, like ALF.
:attitude: Again, that is technically untrue. The Muppet Show's closing caused a bit of a stir in the entertainment community because it ended at the height of its popularity. Maybe it is perceived differently outside of the US and UK, but that's really what happened. I also see that Sesame and Muppet Show as remarkably different formats. I have to completely disagree with your last statement. And as a Muppet fan, to hear the words Muppets and novelty in the same sentence makes me cringe. :eek:

beaker

Reaction score
Really? All I could read was

High School Musical...blah blah blah blah... Hannah montana... Blah Blah Blah blah...High School Musical...blah blah blah blah... Hannah montana... Blah Blah Blah blah...High School Musical...blah blah blah blah... Hannah montana... Blah Blah Blah blah... Lather rinse repeat.

YEah, things look really good for people outside of the 9-16 year old girl demographic. :grouchy:
Its amazing, there is a chokehold on children's entertaining solely focused on
ADHD cheap throwaway animated shows(Cartoon Network, Nick, Disney tv)
but the bulk seems to be the High School Musical/Hannah Montanna tween girl crowd.

Yet, the very things I grew up with in the early to mid 80's(yeah Im old, ha)
like the Transformers, GI Joe, Star Wars, and even later: Ninja Turtles
is pretty much the bulk of what you see in the toy aisles(next to Naruto, Marvel movie films, and Pro Wrasslin')

In other words, not much has been created in some time that is an original concept with uniqueness thats marketed for kids.

beaker

Reaction score
To be fair, Jim Henson did make all of those kiddie vids with Fozzie, Rowlf and Kermit in the late 80s. I was upset how he caved and did that. It helps to feed the confusion. That's what Sesame and Muppet Babies are for.

I like my Muppet Show characters edgy (without going too far, of course), but some fans would like to seal them in a time capsule to keep them as they are. They need to grow (some) to be relevant. :zany:
I would call some of the rarely seen Land of Gorch Muppet skits pretty close to "going to far":wink: I absolutely loved the 80's Muppet period, it was a magical time and I liked everything that came out Muppet wise from then. Jim Henson Hour being my favorite, but as well Muppet Family Christmas, Muppet Babies, Fraggle Rock, Sesame Street specials, etc.

Clearly the backbone of the Muppets and Jim Henson legacy is pretty avant garde art installations, short films, whacked out tv commercials, existential concepts, etc; but I believe Jim's ultimate vision was to have a dualistic
layer of promoting peace and laughter, with entertainment. I think this can perfectly be mixed with children's entertainment, such as Fraggle Rock.

The problem with Fraggle Rock, is that hardly anyone saw it on America since it was on HBO. That was a major blunder by JHC, as it shoulda been on CBS or PBS. The children it was partially meant for never got a chance to see it.

And now we see how there is "disclaimers" on Old School Sesame merely because the underlying social subtexts implied or alluded to are "not fitting" with the kids of today. That's how far we've regressed.

beaker

Reaction score
I think the muppets have a childrens demographic because most Adults know that they have been around for years and it doesnt excite them anymore, whereas kids are young and it is all new to them.plus there is always new kids coming into the world, so you have an on going market.Look how long Sesame street is going compared to a five year run of The Muppet show.
That's funny, because I could swear the Muppets have since 2000 been almost exclusively branded at the 20-40 year old crowd for nostalgic reasons.

muppetperson

Reaction score
Certainly that market is there, with Muppetfest and the retro products, but not exclusively, and if you look at most of the products, it is children's toys.(and i state most, but not all).

muppetperson

Reaction score
I know that Jim made the right decision and agree with it. I was disagreeing with the statement that some kind of "novelty" had worn off. It was that very perspective about the Muppet Show that made it such a hard-sell for television networks in the first place. Executives enjoyed the auditions, but felt it was a gimmick that would not last. It did. For five years and could have probably gone another five, but I'm glad they stopped the regular shows before then. I would, however, like them to bring it back with a fresh take. It's time. :smile:

And the Simpsons have had many rebirths. I wouldn't say the show has run itself into the ground - at all. They are responsible for some spotty seasons, but I think the program still has a few more good years on it. :wink:
You dont like that "novelty" word ! The muppets are novel, that is a different look at something.I dont know why it is making you cringe, but lets agree to disagree.
I guess you start knowing something is wrong when the Muppet Show gets a midnight timeslot.
Plus the original TV station drops it and another picks it up (in Australia).

TheJimHensonHour

Reaction score
What, you mean millions of people didnt see From the Balcony,
Del's Comedy Binge, or TBS.com presents Puppet Up online?
:big_grin:
Yes,
I doubt it was in the millions range...I watched it all but thats because I went looking.

beaker

Reaction score
Yes,
I doubt it was in the millions range...I watched it all but thats because I went looking.
Forgive my sarcastic tone, it's just bizarre JHC or Disney with Henson Alternative, Muppets, etc dont seem to know about the viral appeal of youtube and myspace video. This stuff would easily be front page of either sites if they put em on there as well