Truth commercial: Muppets & smoking

Drtooth

Reaction score
I don't smoke or drink (Beer ECT) I made a promase to God when i was young never to do so. So when they asked me if I was confetable selling Cigerets I had to really do some soul searching.
I didn't make a pledge to God, but I pledged my lungs I'd never smoke. They're all pink and squishy! I don't want them black and dusty.

Well as a matter of fact, many people have managed to quit over the years. So it's not completely hopeless.
Oh yeah. It's possible to quit... it just (as the picnic basket addicted bear said) isn't easy to do so. Kicking any habit is tough, whether it be drinking, eating, smoking, or even shopping. Even Nail biting is tough to stop. But if you have the patience and will power to do it, then you can achieve your goal.

Me? i have no patience. That's why my nails are so short, I can't scratch my back.

I'm not saying they were right about the Muppet Movie reference, it was uninformed. But I don't think it's a big deal either. No one remembers these things.
Misinformed is right. There's a difference between Fred and Barney saying "Winston tastes good as a Cigarette should" (taking the magic out of cartoons, Fred was likely to die early anyway, due to the massive ammounts of meat they eat. They even pointed that out in one of the movies), and a dirty, nasty looking person smoking a cigarette in the forground of a kid's movie.

But then again, i say, fiction is fiction... things like a villain smoking help add a gritty realism to the product.

I once said that no wonder why they had to censor Sanji's cig in One Piece. In fact, the original Japanese version had him start smoking to look cool (at a very young age). That would give kids problems.

But then again, they also had to censor a character named Captain Smoker, who actually is made out of smoke. And he's an antagonist.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I didn't make a pledge to God, but I pledged my lungs I'd never smoke. They're all pink and squishy! I don't want them black and dusty.
I made a pledge to both, hehe.

There's a difference between Fred and Barney saying "Winston tastes good as a Cigarette should" and a dirty, nasty looking person smoking a cigarette in the forground of a kid's movie.
Right, and that's why that rule was created in the first place, so kids wouldn't see characters like Fred and Barney advertising cigarettes. Though, I actually think the Flinstones were also made for adults at the time too, it was a take off on the Honeymooners. And back in the day, family taken to watch things all together, rather than separating for kid and adult shows.

(taking the magic out of cartoons, Fred was likely to die early anyway, due to the massive ammounts of meat they eat. They even pointed that out in one of the movies)
Hmm...well maybe he was a Neanderthal. Unlike Cro-Magnons, their diet had to consist mostly of meat, hehe.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
What bugs me is when people hurt themselves and others in the process. It's beyond selfish.
But the question lies in if your average addict thinks of others. Some does, but sadly, a lot more do not. :frown:

I hate how smoke smells, I hate how it makes me nauseous when I'm waiting for the bus. And I just don't understand the appeal. Over eating I can see. Over consumption of alchohol I can see. Smoking? No. It's expensive, filthy, smelly, and the most impossible habit to break.
Ditto. Even moreso for me, because I was born premature & thus, shouldn't be even anywhere near smoke, due to the risks smoking causes. Sadly, not all smokers are considerate of others. :cry:

And pulling crap like this, linking it to Jim Henson, who'd have been appalled to even think of any of this is just irresponsible.
Indeed, but does the world truly learn from its mistakes? In this case, the answer might as well be a resounding, "No".

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Well to be fair here, it's not that addicts and smokers can be inconsiderate. It's that people can be inconsiderate, no matter what their hang up is. We've all been there before. Thankfully, we've all had our good moments as well. :wink:

I guess I'm not that upset about the commercial because, with some exceptions, I enjoy seeing the tobacco company put in a bad light. And nobody's going to stop watching the Muppets just cause of that ad.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
And nobody's going to stop watching the Muppets just cause of that ad.
Indeed. 'Tis the same with the dark humor in the skits on [adult swim] for though they may put a damper on the image of beloved characters, fans of those characters won't let that dampness ruin their view of the characters or their fandom of said characters or of the franchise within which the characters reside.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Hmm...well maybe he was a Neanderthal. Unlike Cro-Magnons, their diet had to consist mostly of meat, hehe.
What was the quote from the movie (and which one was it)?

I believe Fred said something like "My father used to eat nothing but meat, and he lived till the ripe old age of 40. (or something to that extent).

But then again, (as Buster Bunny Says) the only way to hurt a cartoon character is to tear up the paper they're drawn on.
(Dip, maybe... but this is a more realistic approach).

wwfpooh

Reaction score
But then again, (as Buster Bunny Says) the only way to hurt a cartoon character is to tear up the paper they're drawn on.
(Dip, maybe... but this is a more realistic approach).
Or to not enjoy them, thus putting them on the fast track to character oblivian.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
What was the quote from the movie (and which one was it)?
Actually I haven't really seen those films, I just came up with that! But that's for sharing, great quote!

Indeed. 'Tis the same with the dark humor in the skits on [adult swim] for though they may put a damper on the image of beloved characters, fans of those characters won't let that dampness ruin their view of the characters or their fandom of said characters or of the franchise within which the characters reside.
Well, we disagree on the Adult Swim sketch, but that's OK. We all have our opinions. And for my part, I won't let some of the more recent Muppet project dampen my image of them. :smile:

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Well, we disagree on the Adult Swim sketch, but that's OK. We all have our opinions.
Point noted, but we should yet our views turn aside the fact that we're all Muppet fans, regardless of ours views on the entire Henson empire.