Truth commercial: Muppets & smoking

wwfpooh

Reaction score
The fact that in The Great Mouse Detective, pretty much all of the characters smoke, and the fact that someone stated that The Muppet Movie isn't the only supposedly "kids" movie to have smoking in it.
True, but TMM was original, whereas TGMD was a nod to Sherlock Holmes.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Well, technically, The Muppet Movie was a nod to Wizard of Oz, but... :smile:

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Well, technically, The Muppet Movie was a nod to Wizard of Oz, but... :smile:
Not really. It may have had some of the premise derived from that film, but TGMD is a verbatum scene for scene representation of Sherlock Holmes.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Yeah, I know The Muppet Movie isn't really based on Wizard of Oz, there's just similarities.

The Great Mouse Detective was one of my favorite Disney movies, by the way.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yeah, I know The Muppet Movie isn't really based on Wizard of Oz, there's just similarities.
It syncs up even better than Dark Side of the Moon! Wocka Wocka!

Anyway, there is a thread just like this in the General Discussion area, about cartoons not being able to smoke anymore, including re-editing old cartoons to reflect that.

And what hooey that is. Why should everything be censored from reality just to please a small percentage? I'm not talking hard core pron or anything like that... but people smoke, people drink, people gamble. Why not portray reality accurately? or as accurate as possible? Wouldn't you think some dirty, dusty old roughhouse regular smokes? Of course they would.

It's as rediculous as having cowboys go to bars where they only serve Milk or sassparilla.

take a good look at the older cartoons. Cigarettes, gun play, drinking... it's all there. And it adds depth. Not saying anything needs this, but to condemn it for existing is rediculous.

Especially that new rule about smoking not being in any movie that isn't PG 13 and up. Redunkulous.

Krazedmuppet

Reaction score
The fact that in The Great Mouse Detective, pretty much all of the characters smoke, and the fact that someone stated that The Muppet Movie isn't the only supposedly "kids" movie to have smoking in it.
Thanks SS :wink:
As he said, that movie came out in the late 80‘s, after TMM, and was a Disney movie. This is also one of my favorite Disney movies, but rip off or not, this was more of a childrens movie that TMM. Look up the clip from that movie “let me be good to you” and you'll see. I was surprised they put this movie to DVD because it had all that and the ban now on cartoon characters smoking, wonder if they edited it out... anyone know? (they cant even show the cartoon Camel mascot from Marbro anymore)

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
It syncs up even better than Dark Side of the Moon! Wocka Wocka!
Actually there was a rumor that The Muppet Movie syncs up with Nirvana's Nevermind album. Take that as you will. I've never done it and don't really see it. Who knows? :cool: