Bein' Green vs. The Rainbow Connection

• Bein' Green

Votes: 11 31.4%
  • The Rainbow Connection

Votes: 24 68.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction score
Which is the ultimate Kermit theme? Of course, "Green" has been around longer, and has been covered dozens of times, but if I had to choose, I'd pick "The Rainbow Connection," not only as my personal favorite but as the better song. "Bein' Green" is deep, but not as singable. It's very personal, and while both songs have a very universal philosophy that could be expressed through anyone, TRC connects to a more general audience. I think My favorite version of "Green", by the way, is the one Kermit does with Lena Horne.

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
I think if I were asked to choose my favourite it would probably be Rainbow Connection. I think it has become by far the number one song associated with our dear froggy friend ever since Kermit sang it as the opening of the Muppet Movie :big_grin:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
This is hard. Obviously "Rainbow Connection" was made for film and was naturally a much fuller, grander song. And it's so moving and brilliant.

But from what I've seen, "Bein' Green" is more well known to the general public. And I love its message; be proud of who you are, don't try to change yourself to please other people. They ought to play this song to anyone considering cosmetic surgery. :smile:

Nowadays, pop culture does not preach being proud of yourself. The attitude is, if you don't blend in with the crowd, you need to be fixed. And you'll feel better once you're just like everyone else.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
heralde said:
Nowadays, pop culture does not preach being proud of yourself. The attitude is, if you don't blend in with the crowd, you need to be fixed. And you'll feel better once you're just like everyone else.
I thought it was that you'll feel better once you are better than everybody else.

Anyway, I like Bein' Green better. Besides, green is my favorite color. As for The Rainbow Connection being more singable, I recently realised that both songs do not have any lyrics that rhyme.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
I thought it was that you'll feel better once you are better than everybody else.
Sometimes that's the case, but what I see is people all subscribing to the same standard of beauty. There is no originality in the philosophy.

Talk shows bring on people who are teased for how they look. In the past, they would have told people, "Don't listen to bullies, be happy with who you are." But now, I hear, "Don't worry, you can change yourself so they won't tease you anymore." Thus telling bullies they were absolutely right.

But anyway, back to the song discussion! lol

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I feel the opposite way. A lot of people seem to want to be the same as everybody else. However, I feel like I am different from other people. Sometimes, I feel too different, and I want everybody (or most people) to be more like me, as opposed to me changing to be like them. I sometimes feel frusterated that other people I know do not think the same way I think, disagree with me alot, and otherwise act normal, while I don't really want to be normal.

Of course, I don't feel that way about the people here.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
That makes sense, I've definitely felt that way too. That's why "Bein' Green" is so inspirational to me. :smile:

MrsPepper

Reaction score
Bein' Green is my favourite, definately. Unlike many here, we didn't have TMM when I was a kid, we had other muppet tapes and such. I didn't even know the song until I was in middle school. It's really beautiful, and of course I know it inside and out NOW, but Bein' Green has a little more meaning to me, I think. Plus I like the message. Rainbow Connection has a really good message too, but that's about chasing dreams. Green is about knowing who you are. Shouldn't you know who you are before you chase dreams? :wink:

Jon

Reaction score
Both songs have their merits but Bein' Green comes out on top for me.

For UK fans who didn't have acess to Seseame Street this was our first taste of Jim singing as Kermit. It was handled in a lovely and touchingly understated way.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
That's a tough question! I think my fave is Rainbow Connection. I'm a dreamer, so it has meaning to me.

I just opened a poll to test this which will close in 30 days. If you've already posted, feel free to vote now. If you haven't done either, vote, and then discuss. :smile: