My Thoughts: Disney's Muppets

Barry Lee

Reaction score
Allright people, I wanna lay off my chest a few things about the lack of stuff from Disney & The Muppets in general. You may also respond if you please, I just feel that we need a thread about our thoughts etc. So here it goes...

I love the Muppets, loved them ever since I was born, always will love them. So when Eisner bought the muppets at first I was excited, thinking, "Yay! More Muppet Stuff" people had mixed emotions, but I was for it, at least, then I was. The news of Muppets Wizard of Oz rolled along, everyone was geared for the movie, I know I was. I was excited for this movie, thought it would be interesting. So then it aired. I literally almost fainted. One of the worst muppet movie's I have ever seen. Though I bought the dvd, I tried to watch it, but ended up turning it off.

But then we got "The Muppet Show: Season One" DVD Boxset! Yay! So I bought that, but then I realised it was cut. I was pi**** off.

Meanwhile, over at the JHC, we got Fraggle Rock Season One DVD boxset I was a happy little camper receiving that dvd.

So then we got the Movies.Com thing, I loved it at first with it's raunchy humor, but as soon as Bill and Steve went, I didn't watch the show since, it totally changed, and we hardly got any old characters.

Now I know some people will be mad, so what!

HIT Entertainment is doing wonderful with there library, we have gotten all kinds of Fraggle Rock stuff.

Sesame Workshop is doing wonderful, were getting this box set! Woohoo!

Disney however, keeps letting us down!

All we get from disney is cancellations, we dont get a new show, but France does?

Disney isn't doing a good job preserving the preformer's either in my opinion, I mean I am not for all these people performing Kermit, we should have one puppet, one performer, Sesame Workshop does that, what's the problem here?

I keep getting let down with Disney. And it upsets me very very very very much to see the Muppets no where in sight.

They ruine them, they made some stupid cell phone game with rapping muppets too! That is NOT the muppets once so ever! Come on!

They try to make the Muppets up to date, when they allready are! They dont need stupid pop culture references, or story book remakes, they need great writers, and people who truly know the muppets, instead of these people who think they know the muppets.

I just feel very upset right now, that's why I posted this, and please post your rants about this situation. I think we all should let our feelings go out.

If I offended anyone, sorry, but this is the way I feel.

Peace, Love, & Happiness,

Barry S. Lee :zany:

Teheheman

Reaction score
This didn't offend me one dang bit and I agree with what you're saying. However, well......actually there is no however in this statement. I just thought that the last sentence needed a however at the beginning of it.

Daniel

muppetsforlife

Reaction score
You are 100% dead on. You know I always tried to defend Disney and really had high hopes for what they were going to do. I kept saying "give them a chance, they will do good." But I officially agree with you all, now. They are doing terrible with them. And I don't support what they are doing until they prove me wrong. Which I am still hoping for, but doubt very much. Very frustrating.

anythingmuppet

Reaction score
I agree entirely with Barry. Disney's not doing ANYTHING good with the muppets, sorry. And like Barry said, they shouldn't try to make them like rappers and "hip". :rolleyes:

Mr.Penguin

Reaction score
Yeah, I agree :mad: :big_grin: (except that I loved the season one set, and it's not their fault they couldn't the rights to the songs they cut :concern: )

CommanderD

Reaction score
Disney in general is going down the tubes nowadays. I mean, true, the cuts for the Muppet Show 1st season were unfortunate, but at least they had special features for them. Disney's DVD releases of Darkwing Duck and DuckTales don't have ANY special features. All Disney seems to be doing nowadays is making crummy, unneeded sequels. It's a shame. :frown:

It seems to me that Disney just doesn't know what to do with itself nowadays. And that includes knowing what to do with the Muppets. I don't think Walt (or Jim) would be very proud.

Teheheman

Reaction score
Now, I have a real issue with Disney doing that to DuckTales and Darkwing Duck, not having special features. If you're not gonna put special features in a DVD box set, then you might as well make it availible for VHS. It would cost less, and you'd get the same as on DVD. Sure, not many people have VHS, but so what? Still be the same dang thing. I personally think that if Jim and Walt were alive this wouldn't happen, mostly cause Jim would still have control of the Muppets and Walt would be working on his own stuff and not this stuff that they have now. That and ABC wouldn't be in 4th place.

Daniel

King Prawn

Reaction score
I could not agree more with everyone here, we're slowly losing the Muppets. I remember when it was first announced that Disney would be buying the Muppets. At first I was against the idea but Disney was promising us fans so many stuff that I actually believed them, I was so thrilled when Disney released Muppets Wizard of Oz which then turned out to be a disaster and would have been released either way by Disney or not cause the Henson CompanyI believe were already in agreement to release the film with the help of another company but now unfortunatly it looks like we were all mosty right because I remember many people voicing thier concerns at the time and it looks like we were right.

What's missing from the Muppets is the writting, you can't just get anyone to write for the Muppets or The Simpsons or South Park for that matter, these characters need the same writers, those who have been writing them since the start and know the characters well enough. Sadly most of the main Muppet writers are gone but I believe Dave Goelz should be allowed to write the next Muppet project before those they are letting write for them at the moment, I can bet you Dave, Steve or any of the original perforemers could write a better screenplay fror the Muppets than those currently writting, they know the Muppets well enough. After them the next logical step in my mind would be for one of us to write something for them, we know the Muppets better than anyone after those involved in the Henson Company.

My point is that's what spoiling the Muppets is the fact that what they are given to do is crap, I saw Kermit on Extreme HomeMakeover for the first time the other night and I admired what he did but to see Kermit working on a show as a guest star for stars (if you can call them that) that would never have appeared on the Muppet Show is just sad and I watched and the truth is I was not being entertained by Kermit. It is all very frustrating, I've always loved the Muppets and I hate to see whats happening to them, the thought that soon they will fade away, I never thought that would actually happen.

I've been writting my own little personal fanfics for years now and I always concentrate on Kermit's character, the others too but when writing the most important thing is to remember who you are writing for not just write whatever and then have him say that.

I've got a screenplay I recently finished, I've been writing it since 2004 maybe i'll go try make something of it :wink: One can dream can't he