Anyone else think that D A is a bit stuck up?

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I just LOVE it when foreign users like my stuff... though, I almost seem to cater to them... but they like the stuff I mostly do that's American or at least well known here. Like I always say, I kill myself doing Paperinik and Lucky Luke and Yatterman stuff, but people in other countries REALLY like the stuff I do from here. Go fig.
Lol, well I guess that makes sense, they want something that's new that they don't see very often. It's like when you go to another country and try to speak their language, but they really want to practice their English, lol.

Redsonga

Reaction score
Again, I must stress this conversation is about (and I'm putting this in bold) Deviant Art being yet another place to bitterly whine about politics. Basically like everything else on the internet now. There's a great video that I can't share here I saw somewhere about it... something about Youtube comments. Again, everything's become so bitter, heated and hateful that it's no fun to be caught in the middle, and harder and harder to ignore. That's why Bill Breathed stopped writing/drawing Opus.

As for maturity, Maturity has little to do with what you like and very much to do with how you act. I'm not calling you immature at all... you can sleep in a bed with My Little Pony sheets still on it and it's still more mature than someone acting up. People CAN get along and act their age when talking about childish things, but when people talk about supposedly grown up things, they're shockingly childish about it.
I just don't bring politics into DA at all, or even facebook for that matter. I keep it to myself. And I have this thing that turns off all youtube comments https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/youtube-comment-snob/ so I don't have to read them now. Problem solved, and I really don't feel like I am bitter, hiding from anything, or missing anything what so ever. The comments on DA that are actually about my art and the subject of it itself I reply to them, the others I delete or hide, as off topic things just don't belong there. End of story and I move on :smile:.
Just because something is brought up does not mean I have to reply about it, have what is said color my view on the fandom, or give it the power over me to make me bitter, ya know?

I'm not saying anyone is more mature, just that things only get as much power over your outlook as you let them. You have 100% control:excited:!

Drtooth

Reaction score
Lol, well I guess that makes sense, they want something that's new that they don't see very often. It's like when you go to another country and try to speak their language, but they really want to practice their English, lol.
I DO have a Japanese watcher that actually likes my Osomatsu-kun and Tensai Bakabon stuff. At least SOMEONE knows who they are.

Really... Fujio Akatsuka REALLY sould help crush misconceptions of what anime is with his loose, cartoony style... too bad he's not well known here. Of course, that was back in the 60's before the popular tropes started coming out. I swear, they deliberately keep the GOOD stuff for themselves.

Anyway:

Just because something is brought up does not mean I have to reply about it, have what is said color my view on the fandom, or give it the power over me to make me bitter, ya know?
Again, I have no problem with fandoms, no matter how obsessive. It's all political, and I've since dropped the subject. Just... it's frustrating to see such bitterness and anger, and that sort of mood spreads. That said, I've ALWAYS made sure to keep my stuff light. The most negative thing I ever drew was a "Toad > Oogtar" Super Mario World piece... and everyone who saw it agreed.

Sure, there's stuff I don't like about certain fandoms (why does every cartoon character in the world have to have a small romantic side to them with a character that only appeared once exploited?) but I find it harmless, and just a matter of taste. However, I'll try very hard not to lose it next time when seeing someone else's favorites. But then again, there are things no one should ever bring up among friends for risk of losing them. And such behavior and actions by those people really help kill a good mood.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Really... Fujio Akatsuka REALLY sould help crush misconceptions of what anime is with his loose, cartoony style... too bad he's not well known here. Of course, that was back in the 60's before the popular tropes started coming out. I swear, they deliberately keep the GOOD stuff for themselves.
Cool, I don't know as much about Old School anime, will have to look into that!

Just... it's frustrating to see such bitterness and anger, and that sort of mood spreads. That said, I've ALWAYS made sure to keep my stuff light.
It is very easy for a bad mood to spread, no question, lol. In the end you just have to put it in perspective and not make their bitterness so important. Easier said than done I know.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Cool, I don't know as much about Old School anime, will have to look into that!
NO ONE knows about it. Well... except either Spain or parts of South America... they got a localized version of a 1980's remake of the shows.

I DO know for a fact (and this is how old these comics are) back when the Beatles toured Japan in the 60's, John Lennon posed for pictures doing a certain pose of one of the characters. It's apparently big enough over there for it to have been referenced several times too.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Yeesh, I really don't know much of what's going on here... I've been out of action for over a couple of weeks now, and the only chances I've had to get on dA for anything is any chance I get to come to the library. :smirk:

Alls I know is I got tons of messages to look through (mostly favorites and watches, not a whole lot of comments), as well as the art of others I watch to catch up on...

Drtooth, I hope you'll like the actual art of Mumford and Orko "cooperating" on a peanut butter sandwich trick when I can make it available.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Drtooth, I hope you'll like the actual art of Mumford and Orko "cooperating" on a peanut butter sandwich trick when I can make it available.
Yeah, I favorited the one you posted already. Love that bad magician duo! Almost something I would draw....

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Love that bad magician duo! Almost something I would draw....
I know, I figured that as I drew it.

But, getting back on the subject of dA and stuck-up-ness, I've been drug into a rather ridiculous feud with another member over there in recent months or so, it's almost like the infamous AVGN Vs Nostalgia Critic feud, only without all the fun, lol. This brings up to mind another problem that's plaguing dA as far as fandoms are concerned...

Politics aside, dA has pretty much become a place for people to get into wars over cannon and mixed couples in fandoms... and that's pretty much how I got drug into this feud: some random artist, out of the clear blue, one day, a while back, singled me out for commenting on a mixed couples pic, and even got me involved in a long-winded PM debate on why mixed couples are better than cannon, when I couldn't possibly care less... I usually ship cannon, but I'm open-minded toward mixed, even though half the time they're unrealistic because most mixed couples are the result of odd wishful thinking on the fans' parts.

Luckily, I'm not the only one who feels this way, an artist I watch recently posted a journal regarding how ridiculous the flame wars are getting amongst fandoms (and wouldn't you know my nemesis once again tries to single me out after I commented on the journal).

But at any rate, I pretty much ignore anytime my dA nemesis makes wisecracks towards me anyway, because it seems like half the time she does it out of boredom (like commenting on one of my most popular pics saying it was "disturbing")... one of her more recent cracks actually made me chuckle for once, but that's about it.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I know, I figured that as I drew it.
Heh... actually, I planned on drawing Orko with another incompetent magician a while ago, but with a completely different joke...

You'll see it when I get a chance to draw it. :smile:

But cool stuff, as always. Thanks for dedicating it to me, you have no idea how much that made my day!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
No prob man, you deserved, and I can't wait to see your "version" of it as well.

Okay, now I have this question for other artists on here... does anyone elses besides me have this little "problem": when I draw real people, or people in general, I find that I always have to draw heads at least two sizes or so larger than normal, otherwise, it seems like if I draw the heads at the right size, then the entire drawing somehow seems inproportionate, like the heads appear TOO small compared to the rest of the body. Does this ever occur to any of you guys when you draw people?