Anyone else think that D A is a bit stuck up?

Drtooth

Reaction score
I hate when people use it as Photobucket and just put pictures of stuff they own on it and call it photography. That's what PHOTOBUCKET is for.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I admit, I was going kinda crazy last night uploading...stuff. I dunno. I guess it was the excitement of something new XD

Although why on earth I took a screenshot of my computer being stupid I dont know. I dont even remember uploading it (it was like 2 am and I was falling asleep at my computer). Yeah, I deleted that very quickly once I realized it was there :stick_out_tongue:

Kiki

Reaction score
I had someone fav a picture of a bonfire...which is a nice picture, but still XD

I'm not going to beat myself up over not getting fans. I just want the satisfaction that my art isnt sitting in a closet somewhere never seeing the light of day. And I know I'm...eh...ok at best. I'm nowhere near a good enough artist to get loads of fans.
Sarge, don't speak too soon! Btw, I've added to to my watchlist. ;3 I think it's a good feeling to just get your work out there.

I mainly go on DA now to look at street art, stickers and other such acts of vandalism, I also check drawing things that interest me every now and then. I don't think the site is stuck up at all, if anything I think that it's the opposite. I'm not going to rag on about what is and isn't "art" but the sheer volume of tacky, 2 minute fanart drawings which seem to involve as little cognitive processing as possible annoys me immensely. My other problem with the site is when people (generally people involved with manga style drawing and or furry fandom) post their art under the wrong category. I mean, 3/4 of the stuff under "Installation art" is not installation art at all, rather just pencil on paper drawings. Illustration - Storybook also seems rather clogged up with things that don't fit the criteria at all, fanart and anime/manga have their own categories on the site, the site is categorised for ease of use, but that ease of use is comprimised when people seem to put in submissions willy-nilly.

Rant over, phew.
Yeah, I've noticed that too. I must say, at times I have difficulty categorizing my stuff, but not to the extent in which I put, say, a drawing under the installation category, heh. I've seen photos, edited and unedited under 'paintings' many a time. I don't know who they're fooling but few people can draw photo realistic, the textures alone would take ages to learn. :wink:

I hate when people use it as Photobucket and just put pictures of stuff they own on it and call it photography. That's what PHOTOBUCKET is for.
Admittedly I have posted stuff I own: as an example, shoes (http://rock-a-little.deviantart.com/art/Not-too-s-h-a-b-b-y-158810408). Heck, it's not even a good pic, but I have put some consideration into the overall 'feel' or vibe of the photo (if that makes any sense) and composition, even though it's not very good. :wink:
I do agree with you, though. I know a few people doing the 365 challenge (in which you take a photo a day for 365 days) and the only photos they've taken are snapshots of stuff they have. I probably sound really critical, because as someone who's into pop culture I have a habit of doing it too, but I can often distinguish shots that belong to photo-sharing sites from da-worthy stuff, generally. That said, I do hate it when people use it as photobucket, rather a lot, it's a bit of a pet peeve, lol. I've mentioned this, but just too often you find people who just take random images from the web and post them on deviantart, often with no explanation either. I don't know. Even on tumblr, a picture-sharing site, I feel as though I have to find the original source when uploading an image, and you find a lot of people just take photos from people deviantart's or flickr's with no credit whatsoever.

ilovemusic

Reaction score
Someone in my class has got DA to, and her account was SO full of messages (500 per time she arrived) she had to take another (on the first she was doing cubees of celebs and contests and stuff).
Really, that's just... I dunno how you can get so far!
In case of me, I don't!:smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I don't know how someone could get that many either...

(kicks over wastebasket).

ilovemusic

Reaction score
I don't know how someone could get that many either...

(kicks over wastebasket).
No, she did make cubees of the band members of 30 seconds to mars, destine, greenday and Glee, and there are many fans of that.
It also like, glee or sth is though up-to-date. The muppet show is also, but it isn't on the television anymore. And I know a lot of people who only watch the television...

Redsonga

Reaction score
Oh yeah if you are doing a lot of band things that is like 3/4 of DA fandom...

Drtooth

Reaction score
I will say this... sometimes I draw something popular and it gets unnoticed... sometimes I draw something semi-popular with the internet/nostalgic crowd it goes unnoticed for a while, but ALL the sudden people catch it. I did a Sam and Max piece a while back during Halloween, and all the sudden, all these people favorited it overnight a couple days ago. Sometimes if I do a Darkwing Duck piece, once the DW groups find it and ask to add it, I get all these hits.

Redsonga

Reaction score
Sometimes they don't add art to the search even if it has a keyword, it's weeeerid...