Anyone else think that D A is a bit stuck up?

Drtooth

Reaction score
At the same time, again, it's obvious nobody cares about my non-Chipmunk art... so... I dunno... I guess I'll whip up something for my watchers in the future... been thinking about doing 80s/90s Brittany doing her "Single Ladies" bit from the squeakquel.
Actually... I really dig some of your M*A*S*H* and Muppet stuff.

it's just I don't usually post links to my Non-Muppet stuff anywhere here.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Oh wow, yeah thanks, I had actually forgotten about a lot of my M*A*S*H art ><

I really need to do more Muppet art myself, because it's been so few and far between really...

Kiki

Reaction score
I'm bumping this thread... again.

I have to ask this, am I the only one who tends to question the sincerity of some members on DA? Lately I've had people faving my whole gallery within a day, and yet they won't even add me to they're devwatch list. I don't lose sleep from it, heh, but the same thing happened when I got a premium membership ages back and I could see who my visitors were. I had people, not watchers, looking at my page daily, but they'd never :+fav: or comment or anything, it was weird. Plus, I've had one individual tell me that they're not going to watch me purely because I don't do music fanart (going back to my username).
ALSO, a popular deviant announced that if members critique their work, they'll critique back, so my friend thought that was a fair enough deal. My friend is a great young artist, but has little hope in her work because she considers herself fairly unknown on the site. She just got a premium membership, and she wanted some feedback on her work. She only got a brief comment from the more-well known artist, and she sent a note to them asking why (because she was expecting an actual critique, not just "well done"). The person replied back, saying that her work would turn up on they're critique section of their page, and actually stated that they wanted more "professional" work shown there. I was so annoyed at this person, because they crap on and on about how much they despise snobby artists. Any thoughts?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I'm bumping this thread... again.

I have to ask this, am I the only one who tends to question the sincerity of some members on DA? Lately I've had people faving my whole gallery within a day, and yet they won't even add me to they're devwatch list.
Similar happens to me from time to time as well; I've found that every few months or so, something like this will happen to me, but I'm just assuming that these are "new" people who haven't seen my work before, and decided to favorite a bunch of stuff. And again, it's almost always only my Chipmunk stuff that people like.

As for not receiving new deviantWATCHes, I think it's either one of two things... either these people favorite a lot of artists' work to get their attention in hopes that they'll receive the watches, or they simply use dA strictly for favorite artwork.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I have to ask this, am I the only one who tends to question the sincerity of some members on DA? Lately I've had people faving my whole gallery within a day, and yet they won't even add me to they're devwatch list. I don't lose sleep from it, heh, but the same thing happened when I got a premium membership ages back and I could see who my visitors were. I had people, not watchers, looking at my page daily, but they'd never :+fav: or comment or anything, it was weird. Plus, I've had one individual tell me that they're not going to watch me purely because I don't do music fanart (going back to my username).
Do you ever have the problem (I swear it's an error) where people favorite your work, you check it (I usually try to look at the artwork of people who favorite my stuff) and they don't actually have it? I had one guy who added me to their watch months ago, but he was never listed. Thankfully he added me again.

Sometimes I have the opposite problem of what you stated. Sometimes the only favorites I get are FROM my watchers. Sometimes I get watchers who don't even favorite any of my stuff (presumably to get me to watch them back).

Again my BIGGESt problem is the fact that I have so much stuff that's obscure that I get little favorites from them. Yet, when I do something more well known, I get only several more favorites. I swear people only like my for my Internet Meme pieces (i.e. Robotnik).

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Do you ever have the problem (I swear it's an error) where people favorite your work, you check it (I usually try to look at the artwork of people who favorite my stuff) and they don't actually have it?
One similar problem I've faced, and I too am positive it's an error/glitch in their department, is that I'll favorite something, and it doesn't actually show up in my favorites when I browse, BUT, there's a 50/50 chance it'll show up in my Random Favorites module on my profile. Go figure.

Sometimes because of this, it's hard to tell what might have actually disappeared when you notice that your number of favorites has slightly decreased (the other day I had 155, then it went down to 153, and one I thought was removed by the artist turned out to be one of those that disappears from my favorites, but not the Random Favorites module).

Kiki

Reaction score
Similar happens to me from time to time as well; I've found that every few months or so, something like this will happen to me, but I'm just assuming that these are "new" people who haven't seen my work before, and decided to favorite a bunch of stuff. And again, it's almost always only my Chipmunk stuff that people like.

As for not receiving new deviantWATCHes, I think it's either one of two things... either these people favorite a lot of artists' work to get their attention in hopes that they'll receive the watches, or they simply use dA strictly for favorite artwork.
I agree, I know a number of people "in real life" who go on DA just to favourite stuff myself. I mean, favourites means a lot to me, and I really appreciate them, but when they :+fav: everything and don't dewatch you back... I don't know, maybe my expectations are too high. I reckon I have a few people on my devwatch who have never acknowledged my gallery, or at least never comment/fav, but again... maybe I'm just expecting too much (but hey, it does make you wonder about who sincere members are), a close friend of mine will never comment or favourite/comment on my stuff unless I somehow mention her in the comments.

Do you ever have the problem (I swear it's an error) where people favorite your work, you check it (I usually try to look at the artwork of people who favorite my stuff) and they don't actually have it? I had one guy who added me to their watch months ago, but he was never listed. Thankfully he added me again.
Oh yeah, I had that once on my old account. Thankfully though, on this one, so far so good.

Sometimes I have the opposite problem of what you stated. Sometimes the only favorites I get are FROM my watchers. Sometimes I get watchers who don't even favorite any of my stuff (presumably to get me to watch them back).
That's what I get, I reckon. Not always, but yeah. I have a group of really lovely watchers, but I do believe that some just decided to watch me due to my interests (or, as I said, when I got a premium account, I noticed on the visitor thingy that I have a few members that looked at my page sometimes more than once a day, and I think I watched some of them so they might've been thinking, "oh, now that she knows I've been looking at her page, I should add her". But I could be wrong here, I guess).

Again my BIGGESt problem is the fact that I have so much stuff that's obscure that I get little favorites from them. Yet, when I do something more well known, I get only several more favorites. I swear people only like my for my Internet Meme pieces (i.e. Robotnik).
Not that I'm ungrateful for faves, but I can definitely relate to you there. It often varies for me, I just looked at my gallery stats and it turns out my stuff altogether has been faved 558 times, which I'm quite happy about, actually, if not a little surprised. And, as I've probably mentioned before, the one that got the most faves (46) was an average photo of a /shoe/. It's not /terrible/, but it is over-exposed, colours are too flat... nah, doesn't make sense to me.
I think I'm in the same boat as you, Dr.Tooth. I often get a number of people favourting my rough sketches, but it's my pencil drawings and my watercolour paintings that I wish got more recognition.Even something like this, which took me no time at all, but I'm quite happy with the end result, I just wish my more obscure stuff got acknowledged.

Also, I gotta mention this, because I'd really like a second opinion, am I the only one who notices that so many portraits (hand-done) on DA, generally the ones that get the most faves, are traced? I'm sure I'm not, but to me it seems a little wrong, esp. if the original pic didn't belong to the person. If they must, I reckon they should at least say where they've gotten it from. And also people just uploading pics that they've found on the internet, that don't belong to them... I don't know, for an art site, it just doesn't seem right. I understand maybe adding something, if you mention the source, but lately the faves have been going to people who just upload images from another site. :/ Could be just me, but I find it... I don't know... unfair? Sort of. Ish. I just don't think it's right on a website for art, unless you at least mention the source/done in moderation. Or something like that.

Kiki

Reaction score
^ Sorry, I just proof-read what I said towards the end of my last post and I think I needed to be more specific. I was referring to "artists" whose galleries consist of just images they've saved (eg; looked up, say, Miss Piggy on Google Images, saved an image, and then decide to uploade it onto DA), not people who *properly* edit an image and put it into a unique creation. Hope I sound a bit clearer.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Not that I'm ungrateful for faves, but I can definitely relate to you there. It often varies for me, I just looked at my gallery stats and it turns out my stuff altogether has been faved 558 times, which I'm quite happy about, actually, if not a little surprised. And, as I've probably mentioned before, the one that got the most faves (46) was an average photo of a /shoe/. It's not /terrible/, but it is over-exposed, colours are too flat... nah, doesn't make sense to me.
I think I'm in the same boat as you, Dr.Tooth. I often get a number of people favourting my rough sketches, but it's my pencil drawings and my watercolour paintings that I wish got more recognition.Even something like this, which took me no time at all, but I'm quite happy with the end result, I just wish my more obscure stuff got acknowledged.
Personally, it's my own dang fault. After all, I have several Muteking pieces, but the only one people actually looked at is the one where they're being chased by the Swedish Chef, and only because he's there. I found other artworks... in fact, that was my first favorite when I came back, but it is relatively obscure... even Tatsunoko doesn't have much of that on their Website, and they animated it. Then there's that new Jacob Two-Two piece I just put up... I'd think some Canadians would get that one. I was pleasantly surprised a few times, though... I thought NO one would favorite any of my Osomatsu-kun or Tensai Bakabon (a REALLY old one from Japan.. we're talking 1960s) and I actually got a couple watchers out of that one. The problem is there's only so many Super Mario things that get submitted. I've tried to steer away from that, but did some anyway. I get inspiration from the weirdest things, which is why so many of the stuff I have is references to episodes and scenes and lines of dialogue in them. I drew the Man in the Yellow Hat from Curious George because I couldn't stop laughing at a line from the cartoon.

Also, I gotta mention this, because I'd really like a second opinion, am I the only one who notices that so many portraits (hand-done) on DA, generally the ones that get the most faves, are traced? I'm sure I'm not, but to me it seems a little wrong, esp. if the original pic didn't belong to the person. If they must, I reckon they should at least say where they've gotten it from. And also people just uploading pics that they've found on the internet, that don't belong to them... I don't know, for an art site, it just doesn't seem right. I understand maybe adding something, if you mention the source, but lately the faves have been going to people who just upload images from another site. :/ Could be just me, but I find it... I don't know... unfair? Sort of. Ish. I just don't think it's right on a website for art, unless you at least mention the source/done in moderation. Or something like that.

Dude... I know people who just take screen grabs of stuff and claim them as their own. I've seen people post full comic book pages. I mean, there ARE photo-manipulations for jokes (Putting King Harkinian, Robotnik, and Weegie's heads on stuff). I just want people to know everything is hand drawn. Sure, the occasional drawn from reference, sometimes copying a specific pose (when it comes to Robotnik), but I NEVER just cut his head out and put it on something. There was one I posted in my Scraps I used in a Poop, though.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Okay, something is SERIOUSLY NOT RIGHT here, get a load of this weirdo whom I just received a Llama Badge from...

http://carnetiger.deviantart.com/

So, he just joined this week, only has five deviations uploaded, and hasn't favorited anything... BUT, he has 26,000+ page views, 130+ points, 8,000+ Llama Badges and 180+ watchers? Who IS this guy, and why are so many people giving him such donations and watches? Matter of fact, who are ALL of these people?