Fellow Church People

dwayne1115

Reaction score
What if it is like Christian Rock?
They would down Christian Rock the worst. CCM (Contemerary Christian Music) so I have been taught was some of the worst kind of music. Beacuse it was taking the things of the world and making it fit into a christians life style.
There was also a a class we took at church that taugh about beat rythem and melody. The class taught that if a song had to much beat it would contol your mind and make you say, or do things (dance). they belevied that music should have more melody then anything.
They also taught taught on the history of drums, and that they where use to worship the devil, or that pagans where the ones that used them.
The thing that got to me was there was no clear verse in the Bible that said or Rock music is bad, and yet we where being taught that this was almost a major doctoren of our faith. The Bible does clearly show us what type of songs to use to worship
When it comes to music and other things that can really cause fights even among the same minded people. You really need to search the word and find out what God wants you personaly to do about the matter. I for one did about music a long time ago, and God never really convicted me on listiing to Rock.

I might also add that this is the same kind of teaching that says you can not date, but you should court someone. Like they did back when this counrty got started. They take the verse that says "It's good that a man not touch a woman" or something to that affect. If you want the verse i can find it no problem.
I have been taught in a very strict religon, and because of that I know the Bible preety well. Not that I'm better then anyone else, I just know what I'm talking aboiut. If we really want to see what God has to say about music and danceing let me know. I will get some ideas and verses together and we can learn some toghether.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I believe the Bible does praise the idea singing and dancing in joy (can't quote at the moment).

Me personally, I think music does not corrupt people. People corrupt themselves with their actions towards others.

In addition, it's true that we shouldn't get too wrapped up in things of the world. But God gave us gifts so we could create (and appreciate) beautiful things like music (including Rock). For me, that's part of being a steward of the Earth. :wink:

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
I agree. There's some music that's not really appropriate for me as a Christian. I base my standards upon the Bible's moral principles. See Philippians 4:8.
But that doesn't mean that it's all bad and should be considered sinful.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Honestly, I don't dislike any one genre of music. The only thing I ever object to is music with lyrics that seriously promote violence and hatred. But that comes from the corrupt people, not the music itself. :wink:

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Well, I just think that somtimes God uses the last think you would think of the reach people and lead them top him. Sometimes it's not always what we expect. I saw there is nothing wrong with the genera of music you use as long as it is pertaining to the word, form what I believe. Just as long as it is within reason. I know a guy who had a rap about the Ten commandments, lol! But it was cool!

dwayne1115

Reaction score
I really think that with music it comes down to how it makes you feel. Most the songs i listen to are about love, and there is nothing wrong with love whatsoever. Love is everywhere, and everyone has experieanced love in some way. So it is very esay to write about love or the lack there of. You can also sing about your love for God and the wonderful things he does for you. I think music and sinnging are both an expression of the soul, and whatever your soul is feeling in that particulare moment that is the type of song you will etheir sing, hear or play.
On a side note one gener of music i personaly can not stand is rap. I think it is the most lazyest, and self proclamed trash that is taking away the wonderfull joy of music.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Yeah even songs about loving a girl/boy. If it really is love, then you're loving God through that person.

I've heard examples of good Rap, but somehow it's not just used very often, hehe. :wink:

MrsPepper

Reaction score
The only thing I ever object to is music with lyrics that seriously promote violence and hatred.
Yeah, I feel the same way. I love so many types of music, even some rap! There is something to appreciate from everything. But alot of times I won't listen to songs because I find the words demening to women in particular and I don't plan on poisoning my ears with that!

Yeah even songs about loving a girl/boy. If it really is love, then you're loving God through that person.
I really like that way of looking at it!

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Yeah, I feel the same way. I love so many types of music, even some rap! There is something to appreciate from everything. But alot of times I won't listen to songs because I find the words demening to women in particular and I don't plan on poisoning my ears with that!
Yeah exactly, there is some decent Rap (mostly from the early '90s, IMO, lol). I mostly like retro Rock, and some '80s Heavy Metal. But if it's got demeaning lyrics, I turn it off (and rant to everyone I know, lol).

I really like that way of looking at it!
Thanks! :smile: Actually I think George Harrison said that, lol.

Muppet Newsgirl

Reaction score
Here's something: a year or so ago, the deacon in my family's parish was in charge of delivering the homily at Mass, and he opened by reciting the first verse from "Another Day in Paradise," by Phil Collins. Much of the homily, as I remember, was about preaching the social gospel - doing works of charity and love. And I remember that at one point, he commented that rock stars were doing a much better job on charitable works than many government bodies did.

There is a hymn that we sometimes sing around Easter, called "Lord of the Dance," and it's set to the tune of "Simple Gifts." In it, the dance is symbolic for the ways of God, and Christ is inviting everyone to follow him in the dance.