How do I get a job as a Muppeteer?

spcglider

Reaction score
But back to the thread subject...

I think the BEST way to get a job as a Muppeteer, in fact, other than industry cronyism, is to make a career for yourself as a puppeteer elsewhere. If you distinguish yourself on your own, build up a body of excellent work, and make yourself a superb puppeteer, there's every chance in the world that you might end up working with the Muppets. At least, no less a chance than anybody else with that level of talent.

-Gordon

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I agree, Gordon.

Work at what you love, and make what you love be the best you can make it, and let that take you places. Don't count on someone else to do it for you, and don't wait for the 'big break' to come along. YOU have to make it happen, gang.

Just have fun doing it!

Marky

Reaction score
You know, I went to Europe in the mid-90's with a school group and we were in France for a week and never had a problem. Great place. It was in Belgium where I had the problem--the woman who ran our youth hostel was an evil witch!
That's because you couldn't tell what they were saying behind your back! LOL!

CBPuppets

Reaction score
My Guess is that you could Probably make an Audition Tape to Send to the JHC. That would be cool! :smile: :smile: :smile:

RockerRob

Reaction score
To become a Muppeteer follow these steps:
1) Practice, practice, practice...
2) Write scripts, perform, build puppets (keep doing step 1)
3) Get with a company or make your own (continue step 1)
4) Make an audition tape and sent it to the Jim Henson Company with what they ask for. http://www.henson.com/employment.php (still do step 1)
5) Get hired
6) Never stop doing step 1.

That said, there is also the "right time, right place" possibility. (This lucky option still requires step 1.)

zns

Reaction score
I think it's only harsh for those who think that they can apply to Henson or Disney or whoever, they'll get hired and be set for life which of course isn't the way it works. The thing to do is become very, very good and get to know other people in the `biz. Then if you're lucky you'll either be in the right place at the right time or be so good they have to hire you.
I've gotten a little help from Marty Robinson. I've kept in touch with him and he said that if I ever wanted to send an audition tape to him during the summer I could, just to see what I can do. Maybe this will help me to follow my dream. But then again who knows? As long as I know somebody who works in the bussiness, maybe that will help. :smirk: :coy:

scarylarrywolf

Reaction score
Does anyone think it's likely that JHC will be looking for temporary puppeteers for the Fraggle movie?

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I don't know if they will or not, given the technology to CGI background characters these days.

BTW: Good to see you on the boards again, Scary--been a while!