How do I get a job as a Muppeteer?

GuyGadoir

Reaction score
Frankly, I believe you are all full of it!
Full of courage and amazing soul and I can only imagine the extents your talents. I just wanted to compliment you all on your courage and wish you the best with your projects!

Being able to make a living while staying true to art is one of the biggest puzzles to solve in a lifetime, those who succeed are blessed and I believe you can. Best of luck, all.

puppetsmith

Reaction score
I've discovered that its very hard to get anyone to pay you to be a puppeteer.

And so, the next best solution is pay yourself.
So I say to you again... make your own way. That's what I'm trying to do.

If I go out there and prove that I can do that sort of thing, who knows? Maybe it'll be The Muppets knocking on MY door.
Well said, as all of the recent posts on this thread -Buck, Foz, Gordon, etc.

The only thing I have to add is that IF one day the Muppets, Disney, Nick or whoever come knocking at YOUR door - and I'm speaking in general - think twice about accepting their offer - and maybe three, four, five, or six times. You obviously must have been doing something right and maybe something of which the 'big boys' are incapable. Don't assume a partnership with the "powers that be" will make what you're doing better; It could work in reverse. Financial backing comes with costs, and you want to make sure you are not sacrificing what brought you your original success.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Feed him, eh? I half expected you were going to say something about how he was coming apart at the seams. :crazy:

Marky

Reaction score
LOL!

Raoul is the puppets name, and he was made by Matt Ficner. Noreen YOung owns him though. I don't know why. She's the one who lent me the puppet (Matt's too busy filming zombies in Malaysia to be concerned about what I do with his rat).

I used him this weekend to do some Puppets Up! 3 promo stuff actually. It was fun, I hadn't done any public puppeteering since Sept. before that. Bad Me!

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I'm trying to convince my friends to do some improv--except they're not all puppeteers. However, we play REALLY well off each other and I think it would be a hit if they would only do it and could perform puppets.

Marky

Reaction score
I'm trying to convince my friends to do some improv--except they're not all puppeteers. However, we play REALLY well off each other and I think it would be a hit if they would only do it and could perform puppets.
Try doing a li'l basic workshopping with them. Ya never know! All you need then is a venue and... puppets!

I'm kind of lucky, I get both provided when doing stuff with Noreens troupe or The Balcony Puppeteers. Biologically, I'm far too lazy to build and write scripts. I just do my voice thing, abuse other's puppets and butcher writers' work.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I just do my voice thing, abuse other's puppets and butcher writers' work.
I do that to, but unfortunatley only to my own puppets...poor things.

I've tried, only one seems slightly interested, though. Shame, too. The folks I know are FUNN-EE---but, maybe not so on stage. I didn't think of that...