Dark Crystal Skeksis figures: Before the next ice age please

FuzzMonkey

Reaction score
Wow, Laszlo! Your work is incredible. Hoggle turned out great. I might have to order one eventually. If there are any left.

Mystic Master

Reaction score
I'd love some DC figures, I think a multipack would work best, perhaps a Skeksis, Mystic, Jen, Kira, and Aughra all packaged together in a window box, similar to the Star Wars "battlepacks". They could toss in a few accessories to create a diorama, like the dark crystal itself (scaled down) or some critters that were seem in the movie...

JMPrater

Reaction score
Did SideShow Toys also make those abortions known as Jen and Kira dolls?

Can anyone else agree with me on how AWFUL they were?

J.M. Prater

frogman

Reaction score
Harsh! In defense of the Gelflings!

Now see here JM! Don't you think calling them abortions is a bit harsh?
I, for one, sincerely liked them (although poor little Fizzgig's face looks like he fell in the mud!) Here's why: Sideshow makes consistently great product, and I am the proud owner of many of their editions. Seeing actual, beautiful Dark Crystal product blew my mind. For fans of the Dark Crystal, many many long years passed where we were given absolutely nothing! Star Wars has had a major resurgence, Star Trek never really went away, even Labyrinth has merch. But Dark Crystal has been largely overlooked, and it was the first and best (I say this with my NECA Jareth figure staring up at me from my desk). So the Sideshow Gelflings weren't perfect- nothing is. The fact is that they EXIST, which is great in the first place. As more licensed stuff is released, it is getting better and better. Here's hoping for some NECA-style articulated figures.

Oh, and by the by, Laszlo- awesome work. Can you clarify for us exactly what it/isn't for sale? I surely see some pieces I'd love to have.

JMPrater

Reaction score
Now, see, to me, I don't like something just because it was made. Those dolls looked NOTHING like the original puppets, aside from their costumes, which were actually well made. Their heads were these bulbous monstrositys that bore no resemblance to their originators. It was quick and shoddy work. End of story. Just because they made a resurgence doesn't make the product a good one. Hopefully they'll resurrect them and give proper and honorable homage to their conceptual artists, Brian and Wendy Froud!

J.M. Prater

By the way, I'm quite picky because Henson was picky too. Aside from a few obvious wires and technological constraints of the time, nothing in The Dark Crystal was subpar, so, to release dolls that try and carry on the memory of their inspiration, in such a haphazard and sloppy manner, well, it's a slap in the face to Henson if you ask me.

frogman

Reaction score
Hi JM,

I of course agree that Henson was a master of precision and art. The Dark Crystal was a masterwork of puppetry, and still stands the test of time. I often find myself watching and still stand in awe (and the score is magnificent too).

However, remember: it was the first licensed DC merch in a very long time. I didn't expect perfection, but I think they are pretty good. I reckon that Gelfling likenesses are somewhat difficult to capture. You and I must agree to differ here. I do think, as you suggested, that the Frouds should be honored- why not have them do the concept design for any new Gelflings? Then we'd really be in business. Toy Companies, are you listening? (Perhaps Master Replicas will deign to make some nice DC characters).

Laszlo

Reaction score
Did SideShow Toys also make those abortions known as Jen and Kira dolls?

Can anyone else agree with me on how AWFUL they were?

J.M. Prater
ME! :smile:
I mean their head sculpts are really bad. Did you realise how asymmetrical they are?
The articulation is also bad especially the ellbows are placed too high.