What sketches scared you as a kid?

Pork

Reaction score
My sister used to be soooo scared of that singing Flamingo...what's his name...I forget because when we were little we called him pink bird. But she was so scared she had nightmares...she still does now in fact. I have been making a puppet and she can't stand to look at it because it creeps her out. She has this thing that she hates the thought of them coming alive and killing her!! a bid odd don't you think

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Placido Flamingo was a little scary looking; he didn't bother me but I can see where your sister was coming from.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Ok, I've heard people express their fear and dread over Willie Wimple over and over again on this forum. Now, I have heard his song several times on MC Radio, and I always thought it was a catchy tune. But I really wanted to see the actual sketch, to see if it would bother me as much as everyone else.

Finally, today I find a Willie Wimple sketch on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YDHmuaxev4&mode=related&search=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blGG4mjFJ1k&NR

...and yeah I have to admit...disturbing. Especially the music at the very beginning. If I was 4 years old seeing this sketch, I probably would have ran from the room, or at least burst into tears. I nearly did seeing it as an adult!

But, in a way, I'm glad I was affected by it. The video and song together really get a heart felt message across. It's so frightening because it shows such an extreme of what could happen. Sometimes you have to be brutal with the truth to get people to listen. I've always been disapointed that our urgency about the enviornment disapeared after the early 1990s. As though it was all just a fad.

So some of those commercials and TV shows like Captain Planet were corny and over dramatic. It's better than doing nothing at all.

So, ::sigh:: even though that sketch was definitely scary, I'll save it to My Favorites on youtube. That's a big part of The Muppets' message, if you look beyond your fear, you might find something worth while. :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
mikebennidict said:
Could it have been the cat?
Looking abck on it, I remembered. It looked dark and grainy, and somehow that, combined with the puppet likenesses of the mice somehow was frightening or disturbing on some level.

I also got more and more afraid of segments with Spider puppets in them. I was never a big fan of spiders. And If I saw the Baker film with the 7 spooky Spiders, I would have been terrified.

Crazy-Animal

Reaction score
well guys I am happy to say I have watched the old count scetches on you tube and I am no longer scared of him. I got used to it and I am happy that I did.

FshyFshyFshy

Reaction score
Skits that scared me:

CAPITAL I going through the fire

THE BIG WALL CRACKING (animation)

ERNIE & BERT: Ernie brings home a television that only says "I" "I" "I" in a deep voice, then when he turns the set off, he pulls something out that begins with that letter.

SINISTER SAM: What a bully!

letterman

Reaction score
I recall an early 70's cartoon with an overloaded elevator. I think a gorilla was in there among many other people/things. It plummeted down through the shaft, and scared me a little bit. I do not recall what the point of the cartoon was. Anyone remember this?

letterman

Reaction score
little jerry said:
Hi I just saw something in the past week that scared me It was on a sesame two on noggin I belive it was an old cartoon it had this elevator man couting the floors and he stoped at each floor the last floor had a giant gorilla got on the elevator and the elevator shook and it crashed and zoomed down with the elevator guy hanginging on while it crashed woah
I rememeber this one too, though I haven't seen it sine the 70's. What was the point of it?

Xerus

Reaction score
letterman said:
I rememeber this one too, though I haven't seen it sine the 70's. What was the point of it?
It was a counting to 10 skit. The elevator operator on floor 1 said, "UP, 1", then counted the floors he went up. And these were the passengers on each floor.

2. Fairy
3. English soldier
4. Witch
5. Kangaroo
6. Taxi
7. Fireman
8. Clown
9. Gorilla
10. Mouse

That tiny little mouse was the last straw that caused the elevator to explode.

When I was a kid, I always feared about going to the 9th floor in hotels fearing a gorilla might be there.

wiley207

Reaction score
This seems to be a popular thread. Let's see if I could contribute...

When I was really wee, I used to find the Sesame Street News Flash title card a little unnerving, maybe cause of the black background and high-contrast colors and Jerry Nelson's announcer voice. (Since I was born in the late 80s, I usually saw the 1980-1991 version of the title card, like this...)
http://images.wikia.com/muppet/images/9/9d/Firstday1.jpg
But a funny skit was almost always bound to follow, giving me my very first glimpse of Kermit the Frog in my childhood, and Jim Henson's Kermit for that matter! Once there was an episode from maybe the 1980s or early 1990s that featured the old animated Y skit about the talking yak who goes beserk in the end (after being insulted by the narrator) and charges toward the screen, wrecking the camera. If that wasn't enough, on this particular episode, the Sesame Street News logo ZOOMED right up to the screen after the collision, instead of cutting to it or fading up to it. I always found it odd why it did that instead of zooming up. To this day, I am trying to remember what News Flash skit that was. (It was probably one from the 1980s.)
But these News Flashes always introduced me to a character I began to know and love... Kermit the Frog. And this was years before I began watching "The Muppet Show" during its Nick reruns!

I also found the Pyramid skit a little weird, but I always would up enjoying it in the end. I saw it on my "Best of Ernie and Bert" VHS.

I am also very grateful I never saw the Beautiful Day Monster or Fred the Dragon on the show (they were probably long gone by 1990). They probably would've given my nightmares for years! I heard a lot of people were frightened by these two "creeps."

Also, I heard people were also scared of Lord Chatterly, Vincent Twice, and the Big Bad Wolf (the blue version, like in my avatar). I think that's why they replaced the blue version of the wolf with the purple version around maybe 1987-1988.