"Proud of Me" vs "I Am Proud of Me"

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I haven't done any "vs" threads in quite awhile, but I thought I'd do one for two Grover songs with very similar titles, "Proud of Me" and "I Am Proud of Me".

Both songs are sung by Grover, and both are about being proud. "Proud of Me" is perhaps more better-known, as it's been included on many albums and has been online for a number of years, while I don't think many of us knew about "I Am Proud of Me" until earlier this year when a season 15 episode with the song was released on iTunes. I don't know if anybody has uploaded this one to YouTube, but for those with iTunes accounts it's in episode 1854 (I know that some of the iTunes "Sesame Street Classics" episodes are now available on netflix as well, but I don't know if this is one of those episodes).

I'd say that both are catchy tunes, but I think I'd have to go with "Proud of Me" as the better song.

sesamemuppetfan

Reaction score
Hmmmm...well, I'd probably have to go with "I Am Proud of Me". The main reason being is because I've heard "Proud of Me" way too many times. (But it's a nice song, and I don't have anything against it, overall). With "I Am Proud of Me", the music arrangement was a lot better than I expected, and it combines the elements of not only the other song we're comparing, but also with another Grover song "I'm Gonna Build the Biggest House You've Ever Seen". (Heard on 3 albums). Furthermore, the latter is more rare, and just a bit catchier. But this all just my personal opinion.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I'm not sure if I've ever heard "I'm Gonna Build the Biggest House You Ever Seen", though I feel like I might have heard it on The MuppetCast.

It is interesting how in "I Am Proud of Me" Grover builds a castle made of blocks, and he never messes it up or knocks it down accidently.

I was sort of hoping "I Am Proud of Me" would have been on Old School Volume 3. Of course I don't know whether it's from the 1979-1984 time period. Judging by the lighting, video quality, and how Grover looks, I feel it could have easily been from seasons 9-13.

It's also interesting that shortly after I made this post, the new season 43 Grover song "I Am Special" was posted online (and I assume it's been broadcast since). I feel that is similar to these two as well, as Grover sings of pride, though the title is less similar since "proud of me" isn't in the title or lyrics.

Of course before I knew of the "I Am Proud of Me" song I would have compared "Proud of Me" with Grover's rendition of "Me", though that version is only on albums.

Wow, I feel there should be an album of Grover's pride songs. Though it'd be better off as a sample CD or iTunes album, since there aren't many pride-themed Grover songs.

sesamemuppetfan

Reaction score
That is very well true! (I too agree that there should be an album like that). :super: