Has Herry been retired?

SpinneyBigBird1

Reaction score
Well, Herry's presence on the show would certainly be welcomed by me. However, in a 26-episode format with long-runners like Big Bird and E&B appearing less and less, it might be difficult. I agree that with Kevin's departure there might be a more even distribution of characters throughout the season, and I think that would be a great time to re-introduce him.

cjd874

Reaction score
I still think if they're desperate for characters that they have to continuously use Fairy Tale stand bys, they need to bring Herry back.

Personally, I want them to recast Sherlock Hemlock. We have the Robert Downy Jr. movies, Sherlock, and Elementary. It's time to bring that character back. They want to fill the show up with parody segments? Use a parody character.
Good point. Do you think that if Sherlock were to be recast, Matt Vogel would perform him? I think that Sherlock sounds a little bit like Floyd Pepper with an English accent, so it wouldn't be too much of a stretch for Matt.

With all this talk of recasting and trying to fit one-shot Fairy Tale characters into stories, I would really like to see a Jerry Nelson Muppet Renaissance of sorts. Since Matt has basically inherited all of Jerry's Muppets, it would be nice to see the Count, Herry, Sherlock, and others making a comeback for the newest season of SS, which should be dedicated in his honor, the same way Jon Stone had season 29 dedicated to him.

mbmfrog

Reaction score
I still think if they're desperate for characters that they have to continuously use Fairy Tale stand bys, they need to bring Herry back.

Personally, I want them to recast Sherlock Hemlock. We have the Robert Downy Jr. movies, Sherlock, and Elementary. It's time to bring that character back. They want to fill the show up with parody segments? Use a parody character.
They really should try to bring back Sherlock on to the show. :big_grin:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
This thread suddenly gets me wondering... When's the last time Sesame Street introduced a lot of new characters? In the last decade it seems that the only new recurring characters we've gotten have been Murray (in season 36, and even then it took a few years before he became a main character) and Abby (in season 37). I'm not really complaining about not getting more new characters, but it is odd.

SSLFan

Reaction score
With the lack of consistent appearances by some of the classic characters on the show these days, I could care less about them introducing newer principal characters, lol.

sesamemuppetfan

Reaction score
Maybe Matt Vogel could take over Herry. I know Tyler Bunch tried it out at a recent event in Hartford CT, but to me it just didn't click. Right now, Matt's busy filming the Muppets sequel, but I could see him performing Herry for a while. He's inherited so many classic Jerry Nelson characters from the Count and Floyd Pepper to Pops and Crazy Harry, so why not Herry?
Besides, in the aftermath of the Kevin Clash scandal, there will be a greater need for more Muppets. They can't rely on just Abby, Telly, Murray, Rosita, Zoe, and Baby Bear. Maybe they will bring back older Muppets like Herry, the Count, and more of Ernie and Bert (not the claymation versions, but the real puppets that can be used in street scenes).
I totally agree with you on all of this. Regarding Tyler Bunch performing Herry, he didn't sound so much like Herry at all. I mean, I understand that Tyler did the best he could with giving Herry a voice, but he wound up sounding more like another Jerry Nelson (monster) character: Frazzle. Like you just pointed out, since Matt has done a spectacular job so far of performing Jerry's characters, he would be a great choice for taking over Herry. (Not that Tyler is a bad performer, mind you). Furthermore, it would be nice indeed, if we got more of the classic characters and SW could do more street stories with a pattern similar to Super Maria and The Flood from Season 42, as long as Steve, Eric, Matt, and David can make time for filming. Then again, this would mostly apply to Steve wouldn't it?

This thread suddenly gets me wondering... When's the last time Sesame Street introduced a lot of new characters? In the last decade it seems that the only new recurring characters we've gotten have been Murray (in season 36, and even then it took a few years before he became a main character) and Abby (in season 37). I'm not really complaining about not getting more new characters, but it is odd.
I would almost like to think Season 25, which was when we got the Around the Corner set, and the characters that came with it, as well as those who didn't come with it. (Zoe being a major example of one who didn't come with the Around the corner set.)

Drtooth

Reaction score
I totally agree with you on all of this. Regarding Tyler Bunch performing Herry, he didn't sound so much like Herry at all. I mean, I understand that Tyler did the best he could with giving Herry a voice, but he wound up sounding more like another Jerry Nelson (monster) character: Frazzle. Like you just pointed out, since Matt has done a spectacular job so far of performing Jerry's characters, he would be a great choice for taking over Herry. (Not that Tyler is a bad performer, mind you). Furthermore, it would be nice indeed, if we got more of the classic characters and SW could do more street stories with a pattern similar to Super Maria and The Flood from Season 42, as long as Steve, Eric, Matt, and David can make time for filming. Then again, this would mostly apply to Steve wouldn't it?
I don't see why they can't, at the very least, do what they did with the Hidden Gems and, again... at the very least, have older characters stand in the audience when they have that one episode a season where they have a crowd of people.

cjd874

Reaction score
Whenever Season 45 premieres, they should definitely have a large crowd scene, like in the relatively recent episode where the Count runs Hooper's Store when Big Bird hurts himself. In that crowd, we saw Herry, Sherlock, and the Count...not to mention Jerry Nelson himself!
Yeah...they should have Jerry Nelson Muppets hidden throughout the crowd as a tribute of sorts. It would be something that die-hard SS fans will pick up on, but young viewers won't. Yes, I hope there might be really rare characters like Frazzle, Farley, or even (gasp) Herbert Birdsfoot!

snichols1973

Reaction score
Matt Vogel has also done a Harvey Kneeslapper cameo in episode 4209:

Harvey Kneeslapper puts a 7 on Wolgang's beach ball - YouTube

which is interesting, because Frank Oz previously performed Harvey, but his laugh was too hard on Frank's vocal chords; maybe if they do decide to bring him back for occasional cameo sketches, they might consider making his laughter a bit milder so as not to stress the vocal chords, or have him voiced by Eric Jacobson.....