Dog City

Drtooth

Reaction score
Okay, some of you can remember the old Cartoon show Dog City (from Fox) But can any of you remember the hour long special version of Dog City featuring an ALL MUPPET CAST? I was watching my video of the Jim Henson Tribute, and they had something about the characters he did, and it showed a live action Bugsy Vile (or whatever his name is) Can someone help me?

matleo

Reaction score
yes, it was part of the Jim Henson character and the dog Jim played was Bugsy Them. Rowlf also appeared and narrated it. it was probably one of the funniest specials the Muppets ever did!!!! Incidentally, the hero was a character named Ace Yu (played by Kevin Clash). Basically Ace inherits a barr&Grill form his deceased uncle harry but is forced to pay protection money to Bugsy Them ("bugsy was such a major gangster in those days, they'f print the same newspaper everyday and you'd just fill in the crimes") Ace refuses to pay and his girlfriend, Coleen gets kidnappped, er---dognapped. but of course it all works out in the end. Great special though. Bugsy has this great line "Senseless violence got me where I am today, and don't yo forget it!" What's amazing is that at the time, senseless vilence is what got Jim here he was, I alwys thought it a great line for him. We won't forget it, Jim!

--Matt

PS--It also won and Emmy for Best Production in a Musical/Variety Special or soemthign like that.

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
Matleo

Hey,
Yeah i loved that special !

I have watched it a few times recently !
I like Ace in the series more tho, His personality and the puppet.

I think ive got nearly all of teh series on video somewere !

See ya

matleo

Reaction score
Yeah, I like the later half of that series when they really started to mix the puppetry and animation. They got som better storylines out of it. I love the one where Eliott get sick and all of the characters start writing the series for him and the cartoon counterparts of each puppet is suddnely the hero. Also, there's a good one where Eliott start replying to fan mail byfollowing suggestions. The episode gets WAY out of hand and then Artie reads one saying to "Trust your instinct! Signed, your biggest fan!" the story turns out fine, Eliott leaves to go for a walk and Artie says he'll catch up. Then Artie turns and leaves a note on Elliott's desk "Another great show. Signed, your biggest fan!" That was a real good warm, Muppet moment. those are the teo eps that REALLY stand out in my mind.

--Matt

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
Matleo

Hey,
Oh im gonna start digging through my old tapes !

I need to find this video, I remember i got up at six in the morning on Sundays to record it, It was on Channel 4 in the UK !

See ya

Drtooth

Reaction score
WOW!!! A lot of Dog City fans. I only have two episodes on tape. I bought it at a discount store for 3 bucks (Quite the bargain, I must say!) It's because, you see, I didn't know they released episodes to video. I have the Big Squeak and Boss Bruiser. I would have taped the series, but our vcr was broken (at the time). and this was about the time I moved into another house, so I missed a bunch. But, in the end I loved the show. But My question is, Given if Jim WAS still around, do you think he would have done Bugsy Viles Muppet alter-ego, Bruno?

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
DrTooth

Hey,
I just won the only two Dog City videos from ebay !

I searched through my videos today and could only find two eps !
'Rocketship K9' and the one about the Flea infestation.

See ya

White Lion

Reaction score
I have the one hour Jim Henson Hour special on tape. Probably one of my favorite Henson projects. I never liked the animated series that much however, probably because when I was little, I heard Dog City and expected more muppet action.

Scooterforever

Reaction score
This was a great special, loved Rowlf as the narrator/MC, it was cool to see him get a project all his own.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I wonder why most of the characters had slightly different names on the cartoon series. It's not like another company was trying to cash in on the success with a suspiciously-similar show (like how the characters on Baby Talk had names that were similar to the names of the characters from Look Who's Talking).

And the only character who kept his original name, Mad Dog, was among the few to not resemble his counterpart from the original special, even though the Mad Dog puppet was reused as Bowser, the in-universe counterparte to the character.