Vivendi to release new Fraggle Rock DVDs and other Henson Classics

Hubert

Reaction score
I kinda think that the Doozer series might turn out as something good for JHC. If we can get kids interested in Dozzer characters, then that might also lead to more interest in FR. If we can get somewhat of a revived interest in FR, maybe something, whether it's only a few online videos, might come out of it.

Bliffenstimmers

Reaction score
I'm not sure if it's been mentioned yet but Vivendi has released the complete Fraggle Rock series on YouTube as pay-to-watch features ($29.99 per season, $1.99 per episode) If they would bring it back on Netflix that would be great, but it's only wishful thinking.

Drtooth

Reaction score
So far, no word on bonus features. What's the deal with that, then? How is this going to make me not track down the three other DVD sets I don't have yet vs buying the new ones?

Bliffenstimmers

Reaction score
Please tell me I'm not the only one who noticed this.

I want you to take a fine look at this boxart for one of the upcoming Fraggle Rock season sets. Notice something strange about Philo and Gunge?

Are they rebuilt posers? They look rather off compared to their TV originals. Right away you can tell their colors are different. Philo's fur is more purple than... that brownish red color... burgundy? And Gunge seems to have a stronger hint of green in his fur. You might also notice his eyelids are usually raised higher than what you see on this cover.

But enough of my geekery. I don't mind, I think they look good enough, there's just some errors I wanted to nitpick on.

So far, no word on bonus features. What's the deal with that, then? How is this going to make me not track down the three other DVD sets I don't have yet vs buying the new ones?
The descriptions on Muppet Wiki lead me to believe that they'll just have the same features as before.

Slackbot

Reaction score
The descriptions on Muppet Wiki lead me to believe that they'll just have the same features as before.
On Amazon, the complete box set is listed as having 22 discs. The most recent box set has 20 discs, 4 of episodes and 1 of episodes per season (as filmed). The animated series had 2 discs, 1 with episodes and 1 with a few more eps plus extras. So, the total number of discs remains the same. So, how likely is it that they'll swap out extras rather than just copying the fifth disc of each season? I wouldn't bet money on it.

The more I look at the third season DVD cover the weirder it looks. Philo and Gunge do look a little off-model, as if they'd been Photoshopped to amp up their colors and give them more "interesting" expressions and remove their hindquarters. The Boober looks like a mashup of several common poser pics I've seen, but I don't have them in front of me so I can't compare them side by side. I do notice that his lighting is dreadfully inconsistent--from the right on his body and tail, from the left on his limbs and face, and look at the difference between the mellow shadow on his legs and right arm and the harsh shadow on his left arm and tail. Ouch! And is he trying to hatch that rock the way Wembley hatched the Tree Creature egg? :wink:

Bliffenstimmers

Reaction score
You do make some good points there Slackbot... should've done my research. :embarrassed:

Slackbot

Reaction score
Oof. The more I look at that pic of Boober the worse it gets. Look at that left arm. It's broken in the middle, obciously collaged from two different poser pics, the shading on the upper arm is awful (the light is coming from below!) and it's attached too low on his body. And because the fingers are kind of blurred together he seems to be flipping the viewer off. I hope that that's not final art.

One kind thing I can say about it, though: after seeing that pic I don't feel so bad about the huge hobbit feet I put on my Boober puppet.

The most recent box set has 20 discs, 4 of episodes and 1 of episodes per season (as filmed).
Hey, dum-dum, don't you mean "4 of episodes and 1 of extras"?

MuppetGeek

Reaction score
I got seasons 1 2 and 3 but the 4 and 5 boxset is not yet released in Ireland or the UK. I got mine on Amazon.co.uk and they dont have the last boxset of 4 and 5 so i hope they release these in the UK and Ireland

Slackbot

Reaction score
Poor Mo...no, wait, there she is on the cover of the box set. In a pose that we haven't seen on every other piece of merchandise there is, no less. Cool.

The keychain is OK, if you like teeny-weeny plushies. The "graphic novel" looks more like a comic book to me. If I buy this thing, it'll be because they've got some knock-your-socks-off extras on the fifth discs.