The Fanfic Research Thread

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
That depends on the character you want to depict. Would recommend you look up the entry for Jill, one of the Madison Avenue Marketing frogs from TMTM at Muppet Wiki for further reference.

Slackbot

Reaction score
Silly question time: does anyone here know enough about vocal ranges to tell me if Cantus is a tenor or a baritone? I want to think tenor, but then I listen to Music Makes us Real (Ping!) and think he could be a baritone.

Twisted Tails

Reaction score
Silly question time: does anyone here know enough about vocal ranges to tell me if Cantus is a tenor or a baritone? I want to think tenor, but then I listen to Music Makes us Real (Ping!) and think he could be a baritone.
Wow! That's a tough question! I am guessing Cantus could be baritone, but I am not sure if I am correct.

mostlikemokey

Reaction score
I'm guessing tenor, but you can have an overlap in your range… Like me, I'm in the low mezzo soprano to high alto range. For most musicians, your range is more of a guideline then being a pure tenor or baritone. Since Cantus is particularly talented, it wouldn't surprise me if he could extend a little bit beyond his range without hurting his voice, but he seems to be more of a pure tenor to me.

Wow, I just used a lot of choir jargon. Could anybody tell if I was speaking English?

Slackbot

Reaction score
All that made sense to me, but then both of my parents are symphonic musicians, so I grew up with musical jargon. My father even plays the oboe, which is the instrument (synthed) they use for Cantus's's's's Magic Pipe.

The reason I ask is because I'm writing something in which someone is hearing Cantus sing for the first time. I want to describe it from his point of view, and it's natural to begin with the vocal range. I suppose if he was singing Let Me Be Your Song or Lose Your Heart And It's Found he'd come across as a tenor, but for Ball of Fire or Music Makes Us Real (Ping!) he'd sound more like a baritone.

Heh, I'm sure Cantus wouldn't name his vocal range. That's so limiting. But, hey, that's how Silly Creatures think.

WebMistressGina

Reaction score
All that made sense to me, but then both of my parents are symphonic musicians, so I grew up with musical jargon. My father even plays the oboe, which is the instrument (synthed) they use for Cantus's's's's Magic Pipe.
Firstly, awesome!

The reason I ask is because I'm writing something in which someone is hearing Cantus sing for the first time. I want to describe it from his point of view, and it's natural to begin with the vocal range. I suppose if he was singing Let Me Be Your Song or Lose Your Heart And It's Found he'd come across as a tenor, but for Ball of Fire or Music Makes Us Real (Ping!) he'd sound more like a baritone.
Though I'm more band than choir, I think it all depends on the song and the range of the range. Like MLM above, I'm usually slated in the alto section, however I have sung tenor and I know basses who can also hit the tenor range. And of course, before puberty, I was in the soprano range, but I digress.

Don't know the character well enough to state one way or another, but you could probably get away with placing him smack dab in the middle, maybe as a tenor-bass or something.

WebMistressGina

Reaction score
So....I have a question.

:mad: Really.

Shut it. So, I was finally able to at least see the opening monologue of when Jason Segal hosted SNL and his whole song with the Muppets (which was hilarious, especially after informing them they weren't hosting with him "well when people come to see a Muppet movie, they all go to see it for the humans!"), there was his last line when he says he thinks pigs are sexy and Piggy counters that she's spoken for.

I can't remember what Kermit says, but it certainly looks like he nods and agrees with the statement. Of course, months later in the Barbara Walters special, he gets all freaked out about marriage.

Anyway, the question I have is - yes, while they are the power couple and THE official couple, have they officially stated this? And I don't mean over the years, I mean since the 2011 movie. It's obvious now that they have a house together and they certainly seems like they got back together in the movie, but outside of that, has Kermit (or the combination of Kermit and Piggy) officially stated, yeah, we're together?

I remember hearing he broke down somewhere and admitted that they had been a couple (really? since when?)(<--- sarcasm mode), but I'm still catching up on the pre and post Muppet movie stuff (next movie I am determined to see in theaters, I don't care who comes with) so now it's kinda hearsay-ish and I could also be making this up cause it fits in my universe, which I'm happy with.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
I've not been able to see every Muppet appearance from the SNL bit in Nov 2011 to now... But I think Kermit's stance has been the same as always, no real definitive statement while still playing to Piggy's affections at times. Would say go ask Aunt Ru via PM conversation as she'd have more knowledge than I on this.

Slackbot

Reaction score
there was his last line when he says he thinks pigs are sexy and Piggy counters that she's spoken for.

I can't remember what Kermit says, but it certainly looks like he nods and agrees with the statement.
I remember that bit, and that's how it came across to me too.

It seems to me that Disney is tweaking some things about the Muppets. you no longer ever see the Muppeteers working their characters, or even with the characters, because that would supposedly spoil the illusion. So much for blooper reels, eh? And Disney is all about Happy Endings, which nearly always involve True Love. I get the feeling they're pushing Kermit and Piggy as a real couple rather than an are-they-or-aren't-they situation. That was certainly the case in the Muppets --after Piggy left, Kermit was pining for her in that big old house, taking care of it at least. He indirectly called her the most important person in his life. And they saved that torn photo, which shows with all the subtlety of a sledgehammer that they were destined for each other.

So, while I don't know if there's been an official statement, I'm sure we're intended to get the impression that they are a couple. I don't believe they're married, though. That'll happen when Disney wants to show an onscreen wedding.