Your Thoughts: "Being Elmo" Kevin Clash documentary on DVD and PBS

Reaction score
I have watched this movie about eight or nine times, with different people, and absolutely love it! I think it struck just the right balance of Jim Henson background and Kevin Clash history, since he joined the Muppets only four years before Jim passed away.

Today I became one of the backers of "I Am Big Bird," so I can't wait to see that documentary, too.

mupcollector1

Reaction score
I just watched the documentary on Netflex. I'm totally going to buy the DVD and iTunes video download. I love the history of Jim Henson that's in it, esspecially the firey Labrynth problem of 28 takes of him swallowing his eyes, one of my favorite scenes from the film. Lots of rare photos, it's great. Plus Frank Oz is in it.

But what's so amazing is watching Kevin's humbe begainings. It's so strange because it's a lot like mine in a way. My mother didn't have a house, we grew up in a low income apartment and I put on puppet shows for the kids in the neighborhood. And my mother helped me with my puppets. It's so interesting on how much of Kevin's childhood was similar to mine. I loved his message to focus on what you love to do in life. I too had that emotion of happy tears, especially the footage of Jim's memorial service with the Muppeteers hugging each other. I've seen some of the Memorial Service footage, it's so hard to watch without crying. I never knew that Kevin was very close to working on The Dark Crystal.

Though my favorite part of the documentary was Richard Hunt's Elmo. I was laughing like crazy. It's Elmo with Junoir Gorg's voice. But of course Richard just hated being Elmo. It's cool how they show the early Elmo. Personally I like the original shaggy Elmo from the 80s best. Especially when he's pestering Kermit. lol But everyone has their own opinion.

Another happy sad moment is when Elmo sees children who are sick and are about to pass away and seeing Elmo being their final wish. It's so touching.
You know, it reminds me of this story of this female puppeteer. Anyone here of the story about this teenage Muppet fan who had a deadly illness and her wish was to perform with The Muppets so she was able to perform Ba the sheep in Muppets From Space near the opening kitchen scene. I thought that was also a beautiful story too.

But yeah, wonderful documentary. I'm totally going to add the DVD to my collection when I get it, also the book too.

When is the Caroll Spinny Documentary coming out? I really want to see that.

Terrence Burke

Reaction score
Overall I enjoyed the film very much. As there are not very many documentaries about puppeteers out there, this film does an excellent job showing Kevin's passion for puppetry. I would have liked to have seen more behind the scenes clips of Kevin's pre-Sesame work. Perhaps none is available?
Now would someone make a documentary about Burr Tillstrom? :smile:

mupcollector1

Reaction score
I love Elmo fighting with the cheese on the outtake in the beginning. lol That was funny.

mupcollector1

Reaction score
That's great! I don't really know him, but I got a really nice letter from him a few months ago. :smile:
just out of curiosity did you use the Sesame Workshop address? I used that address for fanmail once at got Frank Oz's autograph. :smile: It's really cool.

One of my favorite scenes in Being Elmo is where Kevin meets this French puppeteer who has rare pictures of Jim Henson and some of the Muppets from Sam & Friends. I think there was a picture of Wilkins and Wontkins too. :smile: