Favorite Kermit Voice Actor? Jim Henson or Steve Whitmire?

Favorite Kermit Voice Actor?

• Jim Henson

Votes: 33 75.0%
  • Steve Whitmire

Votes: 11 25.0%

• Total voters

Auberoun

Reaction score
I really hate having to answer questions like this. My gut response is Jim, since he was the one that performed Kermit that I was most familiar with, and he passed when I was in High School. But, Steve has done a great job, and I feel sorry that he is only receiving 25% of the vote so far. I feel that Jim did what I call Kermit's "exasperated voice" better. That is to say, when his voice cracks while yelling, like he is going thru puberty again or something. Steve doesn't do that quite as often or as good as Jim did. Best example of the voice I can think of is when Kermit fires Piggy in Episode 502 of TMS.

Plaid Fraggle

Reaction score
I wonder if Steve would even be hurt if someone said they like Jim's Kermit better. I think he knows better than most that Kermit is a part of Jim. If I was him, I can only imagine that I would perform him as an act of honor, personal challenge, and of course enjoyment! Just like if someone new performed one of Steve's characters, say, Wembley Fraggle. Of COURSE the character would be different then, and just about everyone would vote that Steve's Wembley was the "true" Wembley--I'm pretty confident in saying that.

I like both Kermits a lot for who they are. And even in Jim's time, Kermit evolved and changed like any character, or any person for that matter :smile:

Auberoun

Reaction score
I wonder if Steve would even be hurt if someone said they like Jim's Kermit better. I think he knows better than most that Kermit is a part of Jim. If I was him, I can only imagine that I would perform him as an act of honor, personal challenge, and of course enjoyment! Just like if someone new performed one of Steve's characters, say, Wembley Fraggle. Of COURSE the character would be different then, and just about everyone would vote that Steve's Wembley was the "true" Wembley--I'm pretty confident in saying that.

I like both Kermits a lot for who they are. And even in Jim's time, Kermit evolved and changed like any character, or any person for that matter :smile:
I think this sums it up nicely.
I recall reading an interview with Steve about a month after he took over Kermit. He relates how a package arrived via courrier, and he had to sign for it. Upon opening it, he found it was puppet case with Kermit inside, along with a letter requesting that he perform Kermit from now on. He said that he was moved to tears, and set Kermit down in a chair in the room, and couldn't go back into that room for 3 days. He had doubts wether he could fill Jim's shoes or not, but decided to give it a shot. (I am glad he did, since one of my favorite post Jim Kermits is MCC.) So, I feel bad that he only has 25% of the vote, but I think he realizes that most of the fans just like Kermit, regardless of who is performing him.

Bridget

Reaction score
Well.....
Oh I can't choose, this is SO unfair!!!

Bridget

Reaction score
Well, For me, I know that since I'm thirteen, I was born after Jim's death so I grew up with Steve's kermit. But when I really started getting into the Muppets and looking back on the older films, I could easily spot the difference in voice. But you know, I truly think that even though they're Kermits are a little bit different, the overall character is still there. And I think Steve is an outstanding performer as well as person. My point being, though he may not be Jim, he has the spirit of Jim in him.

Auberoun

Reaction score
Well, For me, I know that since I'm thirteen, I was born after Jim's death so I grew up with Steve's kermit. But when I really started getting into the Muppets and looking back on the older films, I could easily spot the difference in voice. But you know, I truly think that even though they're Kermits are a little bit different, the overall character is still there. And I think Steve is an outstanding performer as well as person. My point being, though he may not be Jim, he has the spirit of Jim in him.
I would avoid putting your age in your post. (Forum rules for your protection.) There are a lot of weirdos (and I don't mean the good kind) out there. I would edit it to say you were born after Jim's death and leave it at that.

I absolutely agree with you that Jim's spirit has rubbed off on Steve. I think that can be attributed to the fact that Steve began working with Jim and a "younger" age than the other Muppet performers, so he was very impressionable, and open to what people had to teach him about life and Muppets. :smile:

Bridget

Reaction score
Oh no! Clearly I wasn't thinking! I am so sorry, wish I could take that back! I seriously didn't mean to put my age down and break the rules! Sorry, and thanks for reminding me! :embarrassed:

Auberoun

Reaction score
Oh no! Clearly I wasn't thinking! I am so sorry, wish I could take that back! I seriously didn't mean to put my age down and break the rules! Sorry, and thanks for reminding me! :embarrassed:
No worries, you can ask a mod to edit the post for you. Back to OP, I do give Steve a LOT of credit, I just prefer Jim...