Your Thoughts: Sesame Street Old School Volume 3 1979-1984 DVD

Oscarfan

Reaction score
To everyone who currently has a copy of the DVD set, did you buy it in store (whether they had it in stock, or you had to special order it), or did you buy it online? The reason I'm asking is because, I've looked at every possible store in my area that would sell it, but none of them had it in stock.
I got mine online, but that's mostly because I could pre-order it and since there's a CVS right off campus, I could get Amazon gift cards and use them to buy it. Also, there's nowhere within walking distance really where I could buy it, so I really had no other option.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
One thing I noticed is that on this set "Doll House" is the only #2 segment included that was perhaps overly-included in the past sets. None of the 2-sponsored episodes feature Henson #2 or Jazz #2 (it's a shame the #8 editions of those aren't in the episode sponsored by 8, though I know that Jazz #8 is in one of the next five season premieres, can't remember which one). It does have a few #2 segments that were on the previous volume (Pinball #2 and that "2 eyes/2 curls/2 zeros, etc." segment).

It is kind of interesting: Among the three volumes we've got 13 episodes sponsored by the number 2, and yet none of them feature Mad Painter #2 (there would have been eleven opportunities for it to have been included in one of these) or Ringmaster #2 (there's only four opportunities for this to have been on one of these sets). Of course, currently we don't know what number sponsored the season 16 premiere (it could be 2 again, but I'm hoping it's not).

Oscarfan

Reaction score
One thing I noticed is that on this set "Doll House" is the only #2 segment included that was perhaps overly-included in the past sets. None of the 2-sponsored episodes feature Henson #2 or Jazz #2 (it's a shame the #8 editions of those aren't in the episode sponsored by 8, though I know that Jazz #8 is in one of the next five season premieres, can't remember which one). It does have a few #2 segments that were on the previous volume (Pinball #2 and that "2 eyes/2 curls/2 zeros, etc." segment).

It is kind of interesting: Among the three volumes we've got 13 episodes sponsored by the number 2, and yet none of them feature Mad Painter #2 (there would have been eleven opportunities for it to have been included in one of these) or Ringmaster #2 (there's only four opportunities for this to have been on one of these sets). Of course, currently we don't know what number sponsored the season 16 premiere (it could be 2 again, but I'm hoping it's not).
I think you're thinking too much about that.

sesamemuppetfan

Reaction score
As discussed in our Sesame Street Old School Volume 3 DVD review, some of you may experience difficulty playing the second DVD.
Hmmm... I guess that could be the reason why none of the stores in my area were able to put the DVD in stock...

minor muppetz

Reaction score
There's something I just noticed today regarding the segments chosen to replace segments that couldn't be cleared, and I'm surprised I hadn't noticed this sooner. On the previous sets, all of the replacement segments were rare to us. I don't think the original "A Little Bit at the Beginning" is in anybody's tape collection otherwise, I'm pretty sure none of us had the Big Bird and Grover chin-ups segment (outside of the clips that appear in E.T.), and I recall a number of us wanting Grover's appearance on Beat the Time (and technically the "new" ending to episode 536 is rare, but I don't know if I'd count that).

But on this release, I don't think any of the segments chosen to replace segments are particularly rare. "Honk Around the Clock" was released on "Count It Higher" (and I think is on sesamestreet.org), a number 2 segment that appears in the second volume appears in place of a different animated segment, and I'm pretty sure all the other replacement segments can be found online. By contrast, there's a number of segments that were edited out of the Noggin broadcasts that I don't recall hearing about. Maybe the segments are noted on Muppet Wiki pages for other episodes and I just haven't seen the episode pages (or hadn't noticed them listed).

I'm not complaining about them choosing fairly common segments for this release. I feel like "Honk Around the Clock" belongs on this set, and it's great to have another Ringmaster segment.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Someone posted a review on Amazon, giving it one star. One of their reasons was that there was too much repeating of material and wanted seasons sets instead. They fail to realize how that problem would increase twenty-fold.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Got this as a Christmas gift (yayz), and although I've only caught Episode 1316 so far, I have to say I'm glad that Sonia's commentary covers the entire episode, I had a feeling she was only going to speak of the street scenes, but she also adds her own comments on all the other inserts as well, I like that.

sesamemuppetfan

Reaction score
After all this time, I finally got my own copy today (obviously as a Christmas gift). I must say that this is a great set, despite a few minor disappointments. For the most part, I pretty much skimmed through both discs, and mostly watched the stuff that was new to me. Those included the episode scenes for 1446 and 1576, I Say Banana, The first part of Weather Around the World, Big Hello 1-20, Snowflakes, Trash Outta Heaven, the original In/Out, the Behind the Scenes footage, the How to be a Grouch story, and the interview with Caroll Spinney. Eventually, I'll watch Episode 1316 with Sonia's commentary, when I get a chance. I especially loved the little character drawings that pop up on the menus. The booklet was especially fantastic (especially the character sketches and pullout).

But, all in all, Old School Volume 3 is a great DVD set, and I sure hope that Sesame Workshop and Warner Home Video bring out a 4th volume next year, or so!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
After watching Episode 1446, I have two questions:

1. Why was Big Bird's old hillbilly recording of "ABC-DEF-GHI" dubbed into the episode when his voice had long evolved from that? In fact, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense that he speaks normally, then sings like a hillbilly, then speaks normally again.
2. Why did Marty Robinson perform Forgetful Jones instead of Richard Hunt?

And now for a question about the set in general: why are the main titles/opening themes excluded from each episode?

Oscarfan

Reaction score
After watching Episode 1446, I have two questions:

1. Why was Big Bird's old hillbilly recording of "ABC-DEF-GHI" dubbed into the episode when his voice had long evolved from that? In fact, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense that he speaks normally, then sings like a hillbilly, then speaks normally again.
2. Why did Marty Robinson perform Forgetful Jones instead of Richard Hunt?

And now for a question about the set in general: why are the main titles/opening themes excluded from each episode?
Forgetful was performed by Michael Earl Davis when he debuted. When Michael left, then Richard took over.