Puppet Coverings

GuySmiley

Reaction score
Hello everyone, my first ever post to the Muppet Central forums is about to begin....

I want to make some puppets out of foam and have been reading various articles, books etc. about it, but I am a bit stuck when it comes to coverings...

I know the Muppets use Antron Fleece, which is expensive, needs dyeing etc. and being based in the UK I don't seem to have much access to it.

Are there any budding builders out there who can suggest any alternatives - any tips would be very gratefully received!:smile:

Scrid

Reaction score
Upholstery and fabric shops are good close-by sources of foam. Vellux blankets are a good substitute for Muppet fleece, and handstitching becomes invisible, so you don't see those nasty seams. The Vellux does disintegrate with age and use, unfortunately.
Forever let us hold our puppets highhihihi!
TV Mc Arthur

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
Guy Smiley,

Hi ,
Im Warrick, I live in England too.

I just made two Puppet heads and now im gonna go on my search for Fleece, Im gonna try and find some Antron Fleece.

I'll let you know if i fnid some!
Other than that, I am not quite sure what else you could use.
I used to use Fake Fur for Puppt bodies...

see ya

GuySmiley

Reaction score
Cheers, Warrick - I'll see what I can find as well!

GuySmiley:big_grin:

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
What about felt, or even some tee-shirt like material (it's stretchy), although you'lll see the seams.

I made myself a cheap-o Swedish Chef puppet using felt material, and it worked out okay.

I also use fake fur material as well, and you can get that in the form of fuzzy slippers, old dolls, jackets, etc...

Good luck on the puppet building!
FOZ

Scrid

Reaction score
Felt is ok for parts that will not have stress or movement. A mouth of felt will wear out quickly. Of course, any fabric will show age and wear if used a lot; that's why I rebuild my puppets every few years.
TV Mc Arthur

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Scrid is correct in the use of felt...still, it's cheaper and better to use for just starting out in puppet building; helps get past the learning stages, y'know?

FOZ

Frank E Stein

Reaction score
You can use any anti pill fleece, which is how I made my first puppet. It worked out fine. Just the seams don't cover as easy as the antron fleece, so be careful where you put them. I am doing a monster puppet right now using furry fleece. I get most of my materials from a material store. Good luck.

CaseytheMuppet

Reaction score
Hi, and welcome to the forums! Just a quick tip... you might want to check the dates the threads were started. This one is from 2002... :laugh:

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
Hi, and welcome to the forums! Just a quick tip... you might want to check the dates the threads were started. This one is from 2002... :laugh:
Still, if you have something productive and useful to add to the thread, then it's OK.
I hope that didn't scare him away...